Part 13

"Sir, It is impossible for two guys to mess up a hallway within such a short amount of time. No, wait don't count Hamilton in. Correction- I cannot possibly do all this in like- what- 10 to 20 minutes?"

I didn't know Jeff could be this serious. 

Seeing him here.... I would not have thought it was him-but be thoroughly convinced that the person i'm seeing is simply another person who looks like Jeff.

I'm not a stranger to the principal's office. Alright, perhaps THIS principal's office but in the past I used to sneak in my Gameboy and PSVita so that Alan and I could totally ditch boring classes with these cool babes. Yes, we tried to be careful, but we were only middle- schoolers and there's only so much you can go to being careful. Especially if you break your high score in Tetris or you beat Marioland in the fastest time. 

Ah.... memories. 

Every time we were caught and yelled at, we'd just snicker and laugh together, though I some what had a gut feeling that most of the time Alan some how tried to weasel his way out of detention, I just ignored it. I see it clearly now, Alan wasn't even really my friend in the first place. I'm the kind who puts others first while he's the type who is nice and smiling to everyone but puts himself first.

I remembered when I compared Jeff and Alan together.

I secretly measured them by their attractiveness. They were both good- looking in their own way. Their personalities, though. 

So.... different.

Jeff just downright told the principal not to involve me. And judging by the look on his face, he was dead serious.

This is the first time, in my life, someone stood up for me. I wanted to hug him and say thank you.

"Sommers, I know you didn't do this. And I know very well about Hamilton."

I felt relieved that he remembered the first time I met him with my parents as they explained a bit about my.... 'psychological state'.

"Now I understand about your medical condition, but that does not excuse you from skipping classes. The latest one being the art class."

Huh? I skipped art class?

"Sir, there's been a mistake."

"You're not in visual arts- you're in performing arts."

"Principal, he skipped a meeting. Not a class. Besides, he was not informed about that meeting."

"Really? Katrina Chang came to me, with this letter, to consider the meeting as part of class. Afterwards, they were all working on task and fund management together." 

Principal Davis pushed a folded piece of paper across his desk toward us. Jeff was the first to pick it up, unfold and read. He gave a thoughtful nod before returning the parchment. 

"It's just one class."

"That's not it. Hamilton has skipped others as well."

"Principal Davis, I don't think that's-"

I stopped Jeff with a light tap on his shoulder. And then nodded to Principal Davis.

"I-I-I....It's- It's- um... It's tr-ue. It's true. I did skip.." 

My voice faded, head down embarrassingly. You've put your standards too high on me Jeff. 

"I'm sorry," I said as I turned to the big man seated. I just didn't feel safe at times. How I hated it when I didn't feel like I was going to be safe. Anytime I felt the nightmare would begin again, I just walked out from wherever I was and sat down at some place quiet as I calibrate my thoughts.