Chapter Eleven

The next morning, once I roll out of bed, I try to waken myself up as soon as possible. I want to make a good impression, and not be late for meeting Mrs. Reed's sister's family and our guide- although I doubt he'd care very much. According to Mrs. Reed, he's an old mountain man who used to explore and trap in his younger days, and now he makes a living guiding people back and forth, across the country on the Oregon Trail. He must really enjoy the mountains.

After I slide out from under my covers, I glance in the small mirror above the vanity in my room and gasp. I suppose I won't be making a very good impression with my looks- my eyes have taken a toll from sitting up half the night worrying. Dark circles underline my lower lashes horribly, giving me the appearance that I haven't slept a wink.

It's all right, I remind myself. You're here to take care of children, not trying to impress people with your looks. Although I can't say that I would, anyway.

Several splashes of cold water in the face help me awaken, and I smooth my hair back, pinning it securely before I select a dress. I choose the first one I see- one of the plain calico ones I made for the journey. Laying the simple skirt down smoothly, I check my hair once more, and then go across the hall to knock on the Reed's door.

Mr. Reed answers. “Didn't get much sleep, eh?” he asks, motioning to my eyes. I shake my head, and he offers me a weak smile. “You could help Maudie get dressed. Here.” He pushes her pudgy hand into mine and hands me her little dress. In the background, I can here Lavinia complaining about how her hair looks to her mother, and I step away quickly, glad I don't have to fix her hair this morning.

I dress Maudie quickly and slide one of my pins into her golden curls. “There. Just like your big sister,” I tell her, and she grins up at me.

I hoist her into my arms and allow her to look into my small mirror. “Pretty!” she squeals, then turns to me and pats my hair. “Pretty, too!”

I smile at her and hold her more tightly to my chest. Then, securing the small pin holding her curls out of her face, I lead her back into the hallway, where the Reeds are just coming out of their room. “We're heading down to breakfast,” Mrs. Reed tells me as she tries to smooth Lavinia's ringlets down a bit more.

Breakfast is simple: porridge with a sprinkle of sugar. Maudie, Tobias, and I eat quickly, but the rest of the Reed's pick at it. “It's too plain,” Lavinia whines. I have to force myself to swallow back disdain at her spoiled attitude with a sip of water.

************************

After breakfast, we walk to a small, grassy park down the street. “We're meeting my sister's family here,” Mrs. Reed informs me as we walk. “We'll be seeing them every day, until we set out.” She gives me a real smile, the first genuine one I've seen on her face not aimed at Lavinia. “This is the first time I'll have seen her for- let's see- is it five years? Six?” She shakes her head. “Either way, it's been much too long.”

She keeps rambling on about her sister's family while Maudie tugs on my hand. “Tired.” She sticks out her lip and pouts. I don't want to spoil her, but I pick her up anyway and bounce her on my hip.

Mr. and Mrs. Reed walk on ahead with Lavinia, discussing Mrs. Reed's sister's family and sharing memories. Tobias draws back to me. “I don't know Mama's family,” he whispers. “I was just a baby when we saw them last.” He pauses. “Do you think they'll like me?”

“They'll love you,” I reassure him. “How could they not?” I smile at him, and he gives me a small one back.

“Okay,” he whispers, but he still looks scared out of his wits.