Chapter Thirteen

I imagined the day we set out to be different from what it actually is. In my head, I saw something grand- I don't know what. But instead, all we do is get up, eat breakfast at the boarding house, and walk to the empty lot, where the wagons are waiting. Everyone but the children and I helped load them last night. I'm curious to see what they look like on the inside.

Alonzo Chester comes up the street, leading two oxen, and I notice that two other oxen are already hooked up to one wagon, and tied to a post sticking out of the ground. I watch their snorting and stomping for a minute, and remind myself that I don't ever want to be in their way. I've heard many stories about people getting trampled by oxen, and I don't want to be another legend that people share to scare each other.

“Hello!” Alonzo cries out cheerfully, and I notice that Samuel is coming up beside him. “Ruth and Liza are taking a little longer to get ready,” Alonzo calls, “but we'll be ready presently.” After a few seconds, they arrive at the lot, and begin hitching the oxen up to the other wagon.

Mr. and Mrs. Reed go over to talk to them, and Lavinia and Tobias start shrieking and chasing each other through the dusty lot. “Don't fall down, mind you!” I holler after them. “We've no time to get you changed. Be careful!” I add, as Tobias slides on his feet and nearly tumbles down.

Samuel approaches me. “Good morning,” he says, offering me a small smile. “How are you?”

“Fine, thank you,” I say, and when I hear a yell, I quickly turn back to Tobias and Lavinia. “Watch yourselves!” I exclaim, and I'm not even sure they hear me.

Samuel chuckles and shakes his head. “They're wild. I can't imagine trying to control them. I bet you've scarcely had any time to yourself these past few weeks.”

“Well, it'll get worse before it gets better,” I tell him. “I believe I'll be much busier on the journey. Although I must admit to being a bit upset; I haven't had the opportunity to view the inside of the wagons. That's one thing I wish I could have done earlier.”

“Well, I can help you with that,” he says, smiling easily at me. “I can show you around the inside of our wagon, if you'd like. But I must say, it's really quite plain.”

“Would you?” I ask him, glancing over my shoulder to make sure Tobias and Lavinia are still happily playing. “Thank you! It must only be a moment, though.”

“Absolutely,” he says, and leads me to the wagon on the right. “This is my family's, I believe.” He climbs in and holds out his hand to help me up. I graciously take it, allowing him to help pull me in. Maudie clings to me, frightened that she'll fall.

Once I'm in, I smooth down my skirts and look around. “Goodness. It looks in here than I expected it to be. Although it is quite full.”

He grins, and runs a hand through his wavy hair. “My mother and Liza were quite concerned with having everything we need. I pray that it's not too heavy, although I doubt it should be. I suppose Abner Douglas will tell us exactly what he thinks when he arrives.”

“Of course,” I say, feeling a genuine smile on my lips. “He's one to speak his mind.”

Samuel laughs. “That he is,” he says, and I notice that his dark eyes are twinkling. “What do you think about the inside of the wagon? Is it living up to your expectations?”

I glance around and take in all of the things inside of the wagon. Four small trunks are stacked neatly, two on top of the others. Sacks of flour, cured bacon, and dried vegetables line the rest of the walls, but what surprises me the most is the faded, worn out quilt lying on the floor of the wagon. Samuel notices me looking at it, and he chuckles softly. “My mother insisted on having a quilt there- she said it makes the wagon more home-like. She apparently doesn't care that it will be filthy, and she can never use it again.”