00 | foresight

0 0

f o r e s i g h t

            "CAN I BORROW YOUR jacket?"

            Adelaide looked up from her laptop and eyed me up and down. "Why are you even dressed up like that? Going somewhere?"

            I walked around the room looking for the burgundy lipstick I had misplaced a few nights earlier. "I have a job interview."

            "I thought you said you liked working at the bar." Adelaide remarked, smirking at me. She knew ever since I said that I was going to start working at Neon Hearts that I was going to start looking for another job. No one liked that place, not even Carlos Lenny, the very owner of the place. She paused for a moment then, in response to my stink eye, she said, "Which one?"

            "The navy blue one." I said, and when my sister didn't show signs of recognition, I continued, "You know, the one with the studs at the shoulders."

            "Are you serious?"

            "Yes."

            "You can't wear that one to a job interview, Franny. Stupid decision. Where're you applying at?"

            I didn't see why I couldn't, but if there was one thing I would dive blindly into it definitely was fashion advice from Adelaide. I gave up on finding the lipstick and moved on to fixing my blonde hair into looking something like the picture I screenshoted from Instagram a few days ago, messy waves and my across-the-forehead bangs curled to the side. "Some magazine."

            "What magazine?"

            "Hudson Youth." I answered simply and waited silently for her freak-out to follow what I said.

            Adelaide's eyes widened. "You got a job interview at HY's?! That's amazing! Why didn't you tell me?"

           "I didn't? I must've forgotten to mention it." I said, "Now can I have your jacket or not?"

           She got up and sat me down on the chair of my room's (or Adelaide's guest room's) vanity. "You're not wearing that jacket to a job interview at HY's, Fran."

            Adelaide brought out a dark berry-coloured lipstick and handed it to me. She picked up a black hair-tie and made a tight ponytail out of my hair, ignoring my flinches and grimaces when she tugged too hard, leaving my bangs the way they were. She liked the way my fringe looked, she kept reminding me. It reminded her of when we were little, she would say.

            "I'll give you my lucky jacket, it'll make you look a lot better than the other one, trust me. You need to promise you'll bring it back first."

            Chuckling, I said, "Fine, I promise."

            I was ready within the next ten minutes. I studied my look in the mirror, no too pleased with what I was seeing, "Are you sure about this? Doesn't it make me look like I'm trying too hard?"

           Adelaide beamed enthusiastically, "No, you look great."

           Her excitement started finally rubbing off on me, I was feeling the butterflies in my stomach, things were looking like they were going to go according to plan for once I didn't want to jinx them is all. I picked up my phone and wallet and looked around to check if there was anything I forgot. "The papers?" she suggested.

            "The papers." I nodded, smiling. "Yeah, those."

            I carefully picked up the papers I set on the bedside table earlier that morning and headed out the door. I was smiling all the way walking to the train station. It was hopefully the beginning of a new chapter that was going to start with moving out of Adelaide's house, away from the smells of baby vomit and butt powder.