One Day, Cadet

You walked side by side with Levi in the heat of the midday sun. He wore a slightly less angry expression on his face as his feet lightly made contact with the ground below. The only noise was the soft clamber of cans that dangled freely in a mesh bag carried by Levi. You were about to break the stagnant silence until he chose to speak first.

"You won." He said blatantly.

"Huh?"

"The game with the cans of paint cans." He gestured to the bag of cans held in his hand. You thought back to the start of the day, where Hange mentioned an incentive for the winner. You wondered what could possibly be worth collecting these for.

"What do I win for my effort?" You questioned. You swore you saw a glimpse of a smile as he answered in a dark tone.

"The brat who collected the most cans was supposed to be granted another mock mission with us for field experience."  You got curious as he said 'supposed'.

"Why is it that I was 'supposed' to get that? " His angry expression washed over his face as he thought.

"Shitty-Glasses may or may not cause us to put these off until further notice. But you seem to be an able soldier..." The silence resumed not as one of the hot day, but of warm happiness. He had complimented you. You basked in its ambience before you broke it.

"What do I win then?" You asked as the barracks came into sight.

"Since you can prove useful, and you show interest in joining our legion, I could continue to help you improve." You were surprised. A dream of yours had been answered in one of the best ways possible; being taught by one of the greatest soldiers of humanity.

Your eyes brightened and you turned towards him before wrapping your arms around his midsection.

His body stiffened before letting his arms rest on your lower back. As you stood stationary I front of the barrack doors, you said many thanks in his ear and gently released him.

"Maybe I can be as good as you at fighting." You said as you looked down at him.

"One day, cadet."