1. Washington, D.C.

Someone was watching me, I could feel it.

I stirred lightly, subtly picking my head up off the pillow. I let out a breath through my nostrils. There was no threat to be found here. Although, I could say that I was slightly annoyed.

Steve had pulled up a chair near the bed, his head bent in concentration as the pencil etched across the pad he had in his lap. I'd never seen him do this before.

Curious, I stretched a little bit, adjusting myself. "What on earth do you think you're doing?" I asked sleepily.

The pencil almost jumped out of Steve's hand. He picked his head up. "Sketching," he said, rubbing his eyes.

"Sketching what?"

"You. You moved, by the way."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Sorry. If I had known you were drawing me, I would've slept a little more. Although...I'm not sure whether to be flattered or disturbed by you sitting near the bed like that." To annoy him a bit more, I slid up, having my legs dangle over the side of the bed. "Can I see?"

"It's not finished."

"That gives me a reason to not look?" I started for the pad.

"Humor me, Kiara, and don't. Please?"

I sighed dramatically. "Fine. But I want to see the finished product."

"That I will let you see."

I got closer, rubbing those slight purple bags under Steve's eyes. "How long have you been at this?"

"Few hours. Hard to sleep. I needed something to occupy me."

"I'll say." I rubbed his cheek gently. "And here the only reason we're living together is because you wanted to keep an eye on me."

Yes, that was correct. Steve and I were living together. We had been for almost two years now. Insane, right?

Not so insane when you considered all that had happened to us: from our Avenger recruitment, to dealing with a shady ex S.H.I.E.L.D. agent by the name of Seth Joyce. It didn't feel as though over a year and a half had passed since the incident with Seth and his insane (and deceased) partner, Kasey Clark.

To think, our relationship started with being recruited by the late Agent Phil Coulson. I could bet my life that he would've had a field day with this development.

Why was it just Steve and me? Where was Todd in this scenario? Well, since my best friend was now officially a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, he was dedicating his time to his new position rather than our apartment in New York. I had been its sole occupant for a long time, with Steve on occasion. It was his idea for us to move in together.

Now, we're in Washington, D.C., in our own little apartment complex. It wasn't much of a move except state wise. D.C. was a busy place, but it would never top New York's lively hum.

"Even Todd thought it was a good idea," Steve noted.

Right, because those two were the top two who were always concerned about my wellbeing and my mental state. It wasn't that either of them didn't believe I could handle my own; they wanted someone nearby in case something happened, like I had a nightmare or a psychotic break.

Okay, so maybe this pointed to them both not thinking I was capable of handling my own.

"If he came home more often, I wouldn't have moved out," I said. "But since he's up to his eyes in field work..."

"Well, hey, you've got me." Steve offered me a timid smile.

"Yeah, I do." I ruffled his already-mussed blond hair.