9. A "Team Player"

"Oh, you bastard."

For a second, I had almost thought that it wasn't real. That the cut on my arm, which was now weeping blood, didn't exist. He was an ordinary man, he bore an ordinary knife. That shouldn't have left even a scratch on me. Either I've underestimated his strength, or I've become weaker somehow.

The Winter Soldier twirled the knife in his hand, looking almost proud of himself.

Looks like you aren't as powerful as you claim.

I growled before I lunged for him. Like the past times we'd sparred, he was quick to deflect my arms. He'd given me no weapon to defend myself, which I found highly unfair. Originally, I hadn't found it unfair, not until he actually left a mark on me. A mark which I felt I needed to give him now. Eye for an eye.

Too predictable, he sneered as he landed me flat on my back. Locking my jaw, I ignited my hand, and he jumped away. I sprung to my feet, keeping the one hand alight.

"Come closer," I dared him.

Put the fire out so we can continue.

"You have your advantage, I have mine. I keep it."

The Winter Soldier rolled his eyes. Fine.

I screamed as the knife found itself buried into my right arm. I ripped it out, staring at the Soldier. "Not wise," I said.

I can still disarm you.

"Not before I burn your face off." As retaliation, I chucked the knife, which he caught just before it hit his face. "T-that wasn't where it was supposed to hit..."

The Winter Soldier didn't believe me. Like a Frisbee, he threw the red knife at me, which I just barely ducked from. That was only a distraction, as he launched himself onto me. This man, what he was doing, it hurt. It didn't bloody tickle.

"Hey, uh, I hate to interrupt the session," came a voice, Seth's. I couldn't see him, I had the Winter Soldier in my face, who looked as though he had the potential to end me right here. Like Seth was the only thing keeping me alive right now. "Pierce called, for both of you. He needs to see you, like, right now."

"Where?" I coughed.

"His place. Let her go."

With a huff of air, the Winter Soldier let me go. He didn't help me up. If looks could kill, I would be dead one-hundred times over.

* * *

If you so much as speak a word, I'll make sure you don't make that mistake again.

I rolled my eyes. Someone's gotten comfortable with this communication. Someone's also sour.

We're supposed to work together.

Oh, really, I wasn't aware. I didn't peg you as the team player type.

I'm not, but I have to be.

Why am I not allowed to speak?

It's just better if you don't. You get punished for doing something they don't like.

Oh, so I guess breathing is on that list too?

I don't understand it, either, but I don't question it. That's another thing they don't like. You don't question what they tell you.