Standing from the Shadows

Piano music echoed off the walls at Longbourn as Mary played to an empty house. She had been back in Hertfordshire for five months and had tried to get back to her old life, but something had changed. She had changed. Playing music to nobody was no longer enjoyable, Mary wanted people to hear.

She had been waiting around for someone to notice her. To offer a comfortable life and take her away from her childhood home. But that was looking less likely every year. She believed that allowing her life to continue down its current path, would only lead to her becoming a burden to her family. It was time to start thinking about her future. Mary needed something in her life that challenged her. Maybe teaching, she had no qualifications but surely she could school basic education to the local children in Meryton. Maybe even receive a wage for her services. She couldn't deny that marriage wasn't still desirable. Mary longed to be part of someone else's life, find somewhere she belonged. She wanted to run a home and have a family, but she needed to be practical. Those things were not happening for her and teaching would give her life meaning.

It wasn't long before Mary have gained a position in town. The class size was very small, most children were involved in local farming work, but the few she had, she taught basic reading and writing. It was enjoyable and rewarding and occupied her mind long enough to stop from dwelling on things in her life that may never happen.

One bright morning Mary sat in the parlour with her mother planning the next lessons. Mrs Bennet sat quietly embroidering a cushion. Mrs Hill, the housekeeper, brought the daily post to the table and Mary discovered she had a letter. She eagerly opened it, recognising the writing on the envelope. It was from Mr Wellfield. They had corresponded on occasion and his letters always brought her joy. She read the letter, a smile slowly forming on her face making her mother question the contents.

"It is from Mr Wellfield Mama, he is travelling to Hertfordshire for his niece's wedding and asked if he could call upon us while in the county" Mrs Bennet looked blankly for a moment and Mary had to remind her who Mr Wellfield was.

"You met him when he came to dine with the Haworth's last winter" she said and Mrs Bennet seem to hold herself a little straighter, remembering the respectable man in question.

"Oh yes, yes, if he has come all this way to visit with you of course he will be welcome at Longbourn, I shall go an inform your father of the news" she said and stood up to leave the room.

Mr Wellfield arrived not only to be greeted by Mary but by her parents, Kitty and Kitty's new husband as well. It would seem that there was a full house at Longbourn again.
They dined together in the evening exchanging stories of home. Kitty's husband, Mr Balshaw spoke about possible deployment of the regiment abroad, which seemed to upset Kitty and they quickly changed the subject. Mr Wellfield informed them about the changing landscape in the North, with the expansion of manufactories in many of the towns. Mary spoke about her teaching in Meryton and Mrs Bennet informed them of Maria Lucas' possible engagement, to a businessman from London.

The hour became late but Mary was insistent that Mr Wellfield saw her father's study and the collection of books within. It was not a patch on the library at Greenhill, but it had become one of Mary's favourite places over the past few years. Mr Wellfield looked across at the books, taking time to peruse the subjects on show. He spoke to Mary as he did. Telling her about Anne and James and what was happening in their lives. Mary sat and listened as he walked the room. His calming timbre leaving a warm feeling inside her chest. He stopped to sit beside her and seemed nervous for a moment.

"I must confess something to you Miss Bennet" he suddenly said and that warm feeling quickly started to ebb.

"There was a moment when you visited Greenhill Park that I had considered asking you to be my wife" he pronounced, quickly looking at Mary to gauge her reaction.