07 - Horse Trainer

Time seems to slow down in the ring.

These are the only few moments in the world where Thomas isn't overthinking things. The world around him blurs and the only thing that comes into focus is his opponent.

Edgar Lee is much bigger than Thomas, with wide shoulders and a stance like a buffalo. His fists are the size of Thomas' head, and with a few good punches, it could be an easy fight.

But Thomas, who is shorter and smaller in stature, wasn't the one who looked scared. It was the younger man staring down at him. From the very beginning, Edgar was warned about Thomas. He has the devil in him.

At first, Edgar wasn't worried when they announced that Thomas would be his sparring partner. Hidden beneath a trench coat and a blinder cap, he was intimidating, but not quiet threatening. However, when he stripped down and stepped in the ring, his eyes turned to stone and Edgar felt a chill run through his entire body.

The chants started, and arms pounded against the walls, taunting him. The noise was overwhelming and as burst of adrenaline shot through him, he took the first swing. Edgar didn't stand a chance.

Thomas was like a gun. He deflected the hit as soon as it comes, and lands a hard jab to Edgar's ribs, before he swung up and hit his jaw. The sound of knuckles against skin and bone rattled the floorboards. Thomas could hear Edgar's breathing slow as he took a knee, his fists wavering from his stance.

Those two punches alone would've been enough to knock out any normal opponent, so it was a surprise to everyone in the arena when Edgar jumped up and landed a punch, right between Thomas's eyes. He hadn't been expecting it, and blood sprayed from the bridge of his nose, running down his cheeks and dripping down onto his bare chest.

The crowd went silent, just as shocked as Edgar seemed to be. Thomas shook from the punch, and through the blood, his eyes somehow became even colder, like something had become awakened from the punch.

He unleashes that devil when he fights.

That was the last thing Edgar thought when Thomas wound back and landed two hard punches on his temple and another on his chest.

Edgar hit the floor like a case of rocks. His feet gave out and the rest of him followed, rattling the building like an earthquake. He was unresponsive for some time, even after Arthur and John jumped into the ring, grabbed onto his shoulders, and heaved him to his feet.

"Bloody 'ell that was a good fight!" Arthur said with a wicked grin.

John nodded in agreement. "For a second there, I thought he won."

Edgar's head lulled on his neck and Thomas took a step forward and grabbed onto his hair, bringing his head up to look in his eyes. He had a nasty black eye, a swollen cheek, and a cut where Thomas's knuckle had caught him. However, his opponent looked almost as bad as him, and that was very impressive.

"You're a blinder now, Ed," Thomas said, gently smacking Edgar's cheek.

The man blinked in disbelief, as if he didn't fully comprehend it. "...but I lost."

"They all lose against Tommy in a one-on-one." Arthur laughed, still holding Edgar's arm as he tried to steady himself. "But you were a worthy opponent."

"With one hell of an arm," Thomas said with a smirk as he gingerly touched the bridge of his nose. He could feel where the skin had broken open, but there didn't seem to be any broken bones.

"How about a few drinks at the Garrison?" John asked, giving Edgar a towel to clean himself up with.

Edgar grinned wearily. "I could use a whiskey."