Part 30

"Alta?" Astrid repeated, stepping closer. "Is it really you?"

"Aster?" Alta asked, clearly confused.

A large grin spread across Astrid's face. "Alta!" She shouted, laughing as she jumped into his arms. Alta laughed and returned the hug. "Oh my gods!" Astrid exclaimed. "It is you!"

Hiccup quietly spluttered in disbelief as he watched his girlfriend and Alta hug it out. Hiccup's eyes narrowed slightly. He glanced at his father. "Have you ever heard of this Alta?"

"Not a clue," Stoick boomed, walking off. Hiccup sighed. Thanks for the help. Toothless came out of nowhere and nudged Hiccup with his head. Hiccup turned and smiled.

"Hey bud." Toothless purred. He settled himself next to his rider.

Hiccup looked back at Astrid and Alta. They weren't hugging anymore, more like they were catching up. They were mere inches away until Astrid threw her arms around Alta again laughing.

Hiccup looked up at the sky. It was about noon. He groaned, a terrible tightening sensation evading his stomach. Hiccup coughed awkwardly which broke the two in front of him apart.

"Oh right. Alta, this is Hiccup, my boyfriend. Hiccup, this is Alta." Astrid pointed to the respective person.

Hiccup glared as Alta came forward and held out his hand. Hiccup shook it reluctantly. "It is my pleasure to meet you, Hiccup, heir to the throne of Berk." Yeah, I used to be the town's screw up too.

Hiccup coughed again, making himself completely oblivious to Alta's presence. "Astrid? Can we, uh, have that talk now, please?"

"Sorry Hiccup, I can't." Astrid smiled apologetically. "I promised Alta I'd show him around Berk and give him a ride on Stormfly. A lot has changed since I last saw him."

"It certainly has!" Alta laughed, too cheerfully. "Again, wonderful to meet you Hiccup. I may see you around and we can have a - " Alta stopped talking abruptly as he stared at the dragon beside Hiccup. "Is that - Is that a Night Fury?"

"This is Toothless," Hiccup explained. "Be nice bud," Hiccup told his dragon. Alta came forward cautiously, jumping back when Toothless snorted a puff of smoke out of his nostrils.

Hiccup rubbed his head, grinning slightly. Hiccup turned to see Astrid staring at him. "What?" Hiccup asked bluntly as he saddled up on Toothless.

Astrid opened her mouth, attempting to say something but caught herself. Her head shook quickly. "Never mind," she snapped. "I'll see you later. Come on Alta."

Hiccup hated to see Astrid in a mood, especially if it was his fault. Hiccup watched as Astrid began to walk off, Alta stumbling behind her. Hiccup ordered Toothless to run in front of Astrid. He stopped her.

"You're forgetting something," Hiccup whispered as he leaned down to her face. Hiccup kissed her cheek once before his lips trailed across, stopping at her lips. Astrid returned the kiss quickly.

"Happy now?" Astrid asked.

"Of course," Hiccup mumbled against Astrid's lips. She pulled away smirking. Hiccup waved at her as she disappeared with Alta. Hiccup's smile changed to a frown. He hated to admit it but, the tugging sensation had returned to his stomach.

Hiccup had to make Astrid think that he was okay, when, in reality, he wasn't. Hiccup already disliked Alta. He had taken Astrid away from him just because he wanted a stupid tour of the island.

Hiccup was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard a familiar dragon squawk. Hiccup, atop of Toothless, looked up. It was Stormfly, with Astrid and Alta. Hiccup's smile disappeared, his eyes narrowing when he see Alta's hands clasped onto Astrid's hips.

Hiccup grumbled to himself. His foot clicked in the stirrup. "Come on bud, follow Stormfly." Toothless nodded, quickly shooting into the air. Hiccup gave Toothless a respectful pat.

"WOO-HOO! HA HA HA!" Astrid screamed as Stormfly flew at her fastest speed. Astrid glanced behind her; Alta looked like he was going to be sick. "Come on Alta! Open your eyes!"

Alta laughed. "I'm good." Astrid merely shrugged. Then she was standing up, Alta's hands still around her.

The next few moments seemed to happen in slow motion. Astrid seemed to have lost her footing, resulting in her falling off the side of Stormfly. Astrid's smile was wiped away immediately as her eyes widened.

"STORMFLY!" Astrid screamed as she fell faster and faster towards Berk. Stormfly hovered for a second before diving towards Astrid. She wouldn't get there in time.

Toothless, realising this, screeched desperately. Hiccup, who had been lying back, shot upright. He saw immediately then yelled, "Toothless! Power dive!"

Toothless tucked his wings in as he dived, gradually getting more and more speed. "Come on bud! Get under her!" Toothless shot past Astrid and his wings shot out, hovering himself in the air. Hiccup looked up. The next thing he knew Astrid was in his arms, grasping onto him tightly.

Stormfly sped down to hover beside Toothless. She gave him a grateful nod. Alta was watching cautiously. Hiccup ordered Toothless to fly back to Berk. He set the tail to the right position and turned his attention back to Astrid.

Astrid gasped, her eyes shooting open. Her breaths were irregular. "Hiccup? What... what happened?" Astrid glanced up at his face with a confused expression. "What are you doing here?"

Hiccup was still holding Astrid in his arms. "You fell off Stormfly." Hiccup glared sideways at Alta. "I saved you." Toothless grunted. "Okay, we saved you. Happy now bud?" Toothless laughed his throaty laugh. Hiccup smiled.

Astrid's breath caught in her throat; did Hiccup not realise how close he was holding her to him? Hiccup looked at Astrid. Their noses brushed. Astrid couldn't help but flush with embarrassment.

"Thank you," she whispered, so softly that Hiccup barely heard her. Hiccup kissed her with such intensity that Astrid kissed him back with as much force. She couldn't get herself to pull away. She was glad when Hiccup broke the kiss a few minutes later.

They were well above Berk now. Knowing his Rider needed some time, Toothless steered himself to lap around the island, Stormfly close behind with Alta still perched on her back.

Astrid gasped, Hiccup's warm breaths hitting her face. Hiccup's grip tightened as he leaned his forehead down against Astrid's. Hiccup's body went numb.

"Why were you following me?" Astrid glanced over at Alta, who was holding onto Stormfly's saddle for dear life.

"Honestly," Hiccup mumbled huskily, "I don't trust Alta. I'm sorry but it's true."

"Hiccup!" Astrid scolded. "You have no right to do - "

"Just shut up and kiss me." Hiccup interuppted, giving Astrid another deep kiss. It took her a moment until she finally returned the kiss.

Her body felt like it was on fire. The way Hiccup kissed her just made her feel weak and queasy, in a good way. Astrid's heart pounded against her chest, the hair on her neck standing on end. Hiccup suddenly groaned irritability as he continued to kiss Astrid lovingly. He moved his arms around.

Astrid finally understood. Hiccup helped Astrid move into a more comfortable position. Their lips broke apart for only a moment before they were reattached. Astrid was straddling Hiccup's waist. He didn't care that Alta was watching them.

Astrid's hand came up and she a clenched a fistful of Hiccup's hair as she pulled away slowly. Hiccup's lips lingered. "See?" Hiccup whispered. "You're not angry at me anymore."

"Oh, babe, you don't understand." Astrid rolled her eyes. "I'm always angry at you," was the last thing Astrid said before Toothless landed behind the Haddock's house, ready to be dismounted.