epilogue

"Jon, maybe we should do some research on that house," Spencer suggests to Jon, who didn't hear a word he said, due to the headphones he had in. "Jon," Spencer repeats, flicking his friend's shoulder.

"What?" Jon groans, pausing his music.

"We should do some research on that house. The one Ryan's at. Alex and Dan are already looking it up at their dorm. We should go."

Jon squirms impatiently, pouting his lip out. "Why can't that wait?" He pauses to look down at his watch and then back at Spencer. "We'll be picking Ryan up in four hours. Wouldn't you like to do your research with someone who has actual experience?"

Spencer doesn't verbally reply but just shakes his head and motions for Jon to follow him, leaving no room for any argument.

***

At the other dorm, the boys were reluctant to actually do any searching, in fear of finding a gruesome backstory that their stomachs couldn't handle. They searched anyway, though, on their local search engine about the haunted house at the end of Pine Road.

A picture of a young man came up. Dark brown hair, eyes the same color, and a dark suit. He stood straight-faced next to a woman of the same expression with bright eyes and dark hair. The image was lacking of color.

Jon started to reread the paragraphs over and over. "...convicted of suffocating his wife... in the 1800's..." It didn't make sense to him. None of it did. "People can't live from then to now," he mumbled. Alex, Dan, and Spencer look at Jon for some kind of translation, but not even Jon knew what it meant.

It started to get late. 7:50. Jon had finally started worrying. Whether it was last minute or not, at least it counted for something. "Guys, I think we should go," Jon said, trying to hide the breaking sweat on his forehead. Regardless of how many times he told himself that it was just a little too hot in the room, at the back of his mind, Jon knew he was worried.

The other guys agreed without a single point of disagreement, and they all ran outside—to the house at end of Pine Road.

***

The men all ran there, and after angrily—but still fearfully—knocking on the door, they were greeted by a fake-welcoming smile on Mr. Urie's face. A slight wince grew across Dan's face, as he could barely stand seeing the man up close.

"Hello. Can I help you?" Mr. Urie asked in his low voice like silk.

"Where's Ryan?" was all that Jon said. No greeting in response. No beating around the bush.

"Ah," Mr. Urie smiled, motioning for the men to follow him into his abode. They all glanced at each other, contemplating whether they should go in or just run, but they all silently agreed on doing it for their friend.

Alex could barely breathe as he walked past the mannequins all around him. Despite their peaceful expressions, they looked horrified. He'd read all about how Mr. Urie would get those strange decorations.

Mr. Urie was hesitant to open the door, but when he did, he made a grand gesture toward a white statue that seemed to be facing away from everyone. "I'm glad you came all the way to see," Mr. Urie said with a giddy grin. "This is my first male statue. Meet Ryan." With an ever-growing smirk, he turned what used to be Ryan, but was now a porcelain white statue, around and watched in humor at the horror that was ridden across the other boys' faces.

Spencer couldn't stomach it. Jon couldn't handle it either. Tears started to fall from his eyes, and he knew that it was all his fault. Yet he still couldn't believe it was real. "This isn't Ryan," he said, shaking his head slowly. "That's not who I was looking for. I want my friend."

Mr. Urie's face had a tiny frown. "I don't mean to make you sad, but unfortunately, I have to. Ryan's mine now. You can all go home."

They all did exactly that. They all went home and tried their best to forget the loss of their friend, Ryan Ross.