Chapter Three

As arranged, Julia was waiting to be picked up in front of her apartment wearing a maxi green pleated skirt and sleeveless black lace top, belted with black high heels. Clutching a black clutch bag, going with one of her work clothes, her stomach twisted up in knots.

To her relief, a car pulled up. A low sports car, not a limousine. She headed towards it as a man climbed out, not expecting the Sheikh himself, dressed in the pin-striped suit, to take her breath away. Then again, who else would come? He looked so debonair. Probably too debonair for a school meeting.

"Good morning Sheikh," she greeted as she came to the car. Julia stepped back as the doors opened up. Not the normal way, but up like a giant wing. Maybe the limousine would've been better, she pondered as she lowered into the leather moulded bucket seats.

Only enough room for two people.

"Karif," he corrected as he lowered back into the car. "I would advise not to call me that," he added at her enquiring glance. Also noted, suddenly, feeling rather too cosy. What about the men who would look after him? For his protection? Don't they usually have bodyguards? She looked behind her to see nothing out of sorts. No mysterious car parked off to the side.

"Of course. I'm nervous."

He reached across to cover her hands, which held her bag so tightly that they were white knuckles. "Don't worry, we will sort it out. I have looked into the situation, and they don't have a leg to stand on."

She looked across, searching. "Really?"

"Yes, but they don't need to know that. Let's see if we can sort it out first, face-to-face. It is better that way, believe me." She released a long breath.

"Thank you so much, Karif. I'm so glad you are here with me."

"Good. Let's get this over and done with. So, do I meet with your approval?" She nodded, but something still didn't feel right. She couldn't put her finger on what. Hopefully, she will work it out before they get there and give directions.

"I know where I'm going," he said, patting his pocket.

"Ah, but have you actually driven here in Melbourne before, your Sheikhiness?" He gave her a sideways glance before emerging onto the road.

"I got here, didn't I?"

"Yes," she breathed, relaxed, looking over the car interior. "I'm sure Tommy would love this."

"Not a huge fan of cars or Lamborghinis?"

"Ah, I have heard of them. Aren't they racing cars? Aren't they awfully expensive? Of course, I forgot. Yours or borrowed?"

"Borrowed. However, I have my own at home. I'm rather partial to the brand."

"Of course you are," she laughed, feeling better. "So, are you well this morning, Karif? I guess yesterday wasn't a normal day for you."

"You could say that. However, I am indeed in good spirits, my dear."

She reached across to squeeze his arm, his hand upon the steering wheel. "Thank you for coming with me, Karif. You don't know what that means to me." Warm eyes glanced across, warming her over.

"My pleasure. So, what have you done with Tommy today?"

"Letting him sleep in, then one of his friends' coming over to play some PlayStation game until I get back."

"Perhaps it would be wiser to come back later, and take him back to my place until we know what we are going to do."

"Perhaps. Let's get this over with first," she breathed. Nervous again, as they become closer to the school on the other side of train tracks, so to speak. However, not so far from where they lived. Much cheaper to build an exclusive school out in the suburbs, than the inner city area.