Chapter 1: A New "Home"

*Marley's POV*

I'm in a car headed to some little town in Louisiana with my new parents. They don't seem to like me very much. Oh well. It's a lot better than the orphanage.

I'm Marley Rose Camryn. My mom died when I was six and my dad started beating me. He died when I was ten from alcohol poisoning and I was sent to the orphanage. Let's just say that newbies aren't welcome, and I have the scars to prove it. I was forced to live there for 3 years, until I finally got adopted by this snooty, rich couple. That's right, the snooty, rich couple lives in crazy, Mardi Gras Cajun country. I'll never know why anyone would want to live here. It's hot, it's sticky, it's surrounded by swamp. But it's always better than the orphanage.

"We're here, uh, what's your name again?" Mandy, my new mom asked.

She forgot my name. Again. Not surprising, but it still hurts.

"Marley," I answered.

"Yeah, Marley," she replied, obviously not paying any attention to me.

They run some big business and they're always on their phones. I'm really not looking forward to this. We got out of their fancy car and I grabbed my one bag full everything I own and walked inside. The place was huge! I was going to live in a mansion! I could be ok with this.

"I'll show you your room, then I'll take you to the mall and you can go buy yourself some clothes," Mandy said.

"You mean I'll be alone?" I wondered.

"We have lots of work to deal with so I'm going to drop you off with money and you can buy your school clothes," she quickly answered.

"Yes, ma'am," I replied.

We went up the stairs and she led me to a beautiful room. It had violet walls, with a giant bed with a canopy top. There was dark purple carpet, a lavender colored dresser and desk, and a violet body length mirror.

"We weren't sure what color you'd like, so we just went with the purple," Mandy told me.

"I love it, it's so big!" I replied, amazed.

"I imagine it's much bigger than your used to," she said.

"Yeah it is," I chuckled.

"Well I'll let you get situated. Come on downstairs when you're ready and I'll drive you to the mall. And let me know if there's anything else you want for your room and I'll give you extra money to buy that," she told me.

"Yes, ma'am. I won't be long," I smiled.

She walked out of the giant room, leaving me alone.

"This can't be that bad, can it?" I said to myself. "I've got rich parents, a huge room, and they're letting me buy my own stuff! This is gonna be wicked!"