Chapter 6: Fire and A Bottle

*Hunter's POV*

"Hunter, where do we go?" Marley asked, starting to panic.

"I don't know, but we can't freak out," I told her. "We'll be all right."

We were stopped in the hallway by the fire. What caused it? I took her hand and led her the other way. I didn't know what to do, we were trapped. We darted back into her room, and she began to cry.

"Shh...don't cry," I tried to comfort her.

"I finally get out of that orphanage and meet someone I really like and now I'm gonna die," she sobbed.

"No. You are not going to die. I won't let that happen," I said sharply. "I know we just met, but I'd sacrifice myself for you. But we have to get out."

I ran over to the window and through it open.

"Ok, now all we have to do is climb down the tree. We can do that, right?" I said.

"Hunter, I'm scared. I've never climbed a tree before," Marley confessed.

"Well, I'll help you, just put your feet where I put mine," I told her.

We climbed down the tree, her following my every step. We managed to get out of the house and started to run over to my parents' house. As we ran, I saw the bullies standing near the house, one holding matches, another holding alcohol. I stopped running, Marley's hand slipping out of mine.

"Hunter, what are you doing?" she asked me, voice still filled with fright.

I took off running toward the bullies. I grabbed one of the boys by the hair and started to scream.

"What did she do to you?! She's an orphan! She didn't do anything to deserve this!" I screamed.

*Marley's POV*

Hunter ran over to the bullies and screamed something at them. I followed him over and saw him slug one of the boys in the face. The other boy holding the bottle of alcohol came up behind Hunter, and before I could do anything, he hit Hunter over the head.

"Hunter, no!!" I screamed.

I shoved the bullies out of the way and caught him before he could hit the ground. They knocked him out cold. I grabbed the matches, lit one after the other and threw them at the bullies, burning them. They ran away and I was able to get Hunter over to his parents' house. What was going to happen to him?

*Author's Note*

This chapter was awful, I know!! I'm so sorry! I meant to update last weekend and didn't get a chance to and I'm sorry! Thank you for reading and I'll try to make it better and update soon! Please leave comments and tell me what you think!