☾zero ☾

1918
Bailey Masen did not know what normal was. She was living a perfect life with her family when suddenly, they were stroked with the influenza. It wasn't long that soon everyone around her became infected. Her friends, aunts, uncles and neighbours were all infected. They began to die one by one from the deadly influenza. She knew she was going to be infected sooner or later, starting with her or any of her family member.

There was a havoc around her town and soon, her mother, brother and even Bailey began to get infected. First the fever, then the endless coughing and finally, the hospital. Bailey was the first one of her family member to become infected.

She did not notice the symptoms until her brother, Edward realized what has happened. He was telling her a story about the girl he courted when she fainted. Bailey was never one to faint, become sick or get tired easily so when she fainted, her family was worried about Bailey's well being.

They immediately brought her to the hospital when she was handled by a charming doctor named Carlisle Cullen. Bailey was diagnosed with the Spanish influenza and put with the rest sick patients.

Edward protested against his sister's new arrangement. He did not want his sister to be mixed with other patients who were already horribly sick. Even though Bailey was already infected, he did not want her to get worst. Edward had always been protective against Bailey and wanted her safety. Edward would take a bullet for her and if he could take her place, he would.

Edward remembered the day Bailey was born. He looked at her in the eyes and vowed saying, "I promise I will never let anything hurt you. I will always protect you Bailey, no matter what happens." then kissing her forehead.

He loved his sister unconditionally and the influenza striking her was the worst news he had heard. He visited the hospital everyday knowing the consequences. Bailey and the nurses warned him, telling him not to come and that he was lucky not to be infected. He did not listen.

It only took a week for Edward to be laid in the bed next to Bailey. He was somewhat relieved to know that he was able to see her every second now. At least she would not die alone, leaving him alone in the world.

Everyday, Bailey's and Edward's condition deteriorated. Carlisle was their family doctor, taking care of Edward, Bailey and their mother, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth was the last to be infected in the family but she had the deadliest influenza. Because of her age and her virus, her health worsened the fastest. She was contaminated with viruses from both Edward and Bailey, making her sicker than her kids. It only took three days before Elizabeth died.

Before Elizabeth died, she requested to talk with Carlisle. Elizabeth knew what there was something different about Carlisle. His hands were ice cold, he was not infected and he was the only doctor who risked his life to take care of an infected patient. It was like he was immune.

Elizabeth had a feeling that he was able to help her kids and she said, "Carlisle, I know that you can save them. Please do whatever it is you need to do to save my kids."

Carlisle just nodded. He knew Elizabeth was talking about his vampirism. He waited until Edward's and Bailey's condition was fatal to change them. He wanted them to live as a human for as long as they could but he would turn them, following their mother's dying wish.

It was until Bailey's cough worsened and ended up in blood and high fever did Carlisle knew her time was coming. She could not keep up any food and would constantly sweat. Edward, he was a little better but mostly, he was worried about Bailey.

They both were put in one bed where they held hands. If they were going to die, they wanted to die together, side by side. Bailey was scared and Edward would comfort her. Edward would wipe off her sweat and give her water anytime she coughed.

Carlisle knew it was now or never. He had to change both of them right now before they died. Carlisle had never changed a person before and unless they were about to die, he wouldn't. He stepped into their room and soothed them.

He decided to change Bailey first. He pulled her hair back, leaving him with a neck to bite on. Edward was confused at what was happening. All he saw was the doctor his family trusted trying to bite his sister. He tried to get up from his bed but he couldn't.

The next second was a blur. He heard Bailey's scream and her twisting in several directions. Her neck was bleeding horrifically too. Carlisle was suddenly next to him saying, "I'm saving you Edward. Both you and your sister."

Edward did not understand what he meant. The next thing he knew, Carlisle bit him just like how he bit Bailey.

Edward and Bailey felt the antagonizing pain for three whole days. They wanted so badly to die because they knew nothing could be compared to this pain. They wanted to end the pain. It was like there was fire all over their body and they had never experience any pain worst than this.

When Bailey woke up, she found herself in a room. She did not know where it was but suddenly, she quenched for blood. All she could hear was blood pumping and veins of humans. Every gust of wind heightened her senses and her craving for blood. Next to her laid Edward who had not woken up yet.

Edward felt the pain subside. He came into a bright light and then saw Bailey. He thought he was in heaven and that they were reunited. However, the feeling did not last long because he felt the same quenching thirst for blood that Bailey felt.

Carlisle came to the room he set Bailey and Edward in. He heard them talking but left them because he knew they needed to be together for a while. He came just in time so that the newborns did not run off to feed on a random stranger.

"Carlisle, what are you doing here? Did you die too?" Bailey asked curiously.

"No you guys are not dead. You're vampires like me." Carlisle found it hard to explain but he knew he had to.

"That's not possible. We were sick and we died." Edward had been told folktales about vampires, ghosts and werewolf but they were simply fairy tales.

When Carlisle didn't reply, he knew this wasn't a joke. They were really alive, given a second chance. In that moment, he realized that Bailey was the only family he had left. They were given a miracle to stand by each other. Edward vowed to protect her never endingly, no matter what it took.

a/n: okay so this is an introduction of bailey's and edward's past life before they were in twilight. I hope you all enjoyed the first chappie.