Weekly Dinners

I couldn't believe it in one more month I would be eighteen. My parents were planning a huge party. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole town was invited. We lived in a small town in Nebraska called Clatonia. There were only about three hundred people living here so everybody knew each other. There were no secrets in Clatonia.

Looking at the clock I realized it was time to get ready. Once a week we go to the Maurice's for dinner. I loved going because my boyfriend lived there. Mr. Maurice was the mayor of our small little town, and my boyfriend Josh's father. My dad was his assistant, though I am sure his title was much fancier sounding. The Maurice's lived in a big mansion, and their dinners were always huge. Mr. Maurice was well respected around town, and Josh always said he would be the next Mayor after graduation.

I sifted through my closet and decided on a flowing summer dress, and my new hot pink heeled sandals. I carried my outfit to the bathroom and hung up the dress placing the rest of my stuff on the counter. I took a hot shower deciding on using my strawberry cream bath wash. Josh always said he loved how it smelled. After I washed my body and hair I got out wrapped my towel around me and slipped on my bath slippers. I plugged in my straightener and began blow-drying my hair. My hair was so thick it always took forever to straighten It. I had long thick red wavy hair. Mom always said I got it from dad, though his hair changed as he got older. After about forty-five minutes I was finally finished with my hair, I decided to get dressed and save my makeup for last, as I was pulling on my dress my eyes lingered on the scar on my left thigh. I never really did know exactly how I got it but it always made me self-conscience. I was nervous when I and Josh did have sex for the first time he would notice It and ask me questions. It ran all across my thigh. Shaking my head back to reality I finished getting dressed and applied my makeup. Satisfied as I looked in the mirror I slipped on my sandals and went downstairs.

"Hey, Mom need any help?" I asked her

"Oh Laney you look so beautiful," she said as she smiled at me. Mom was acting very nostalgic lately. I'd be lucky If she didn't start crying and telling Me how I am growing up in the next five minutes.

'Thanks, Mom." I said as I walked towards the kitchen counter.

"I am all done here but could you tell your father we are ready to go? He is out back" She said as she was wiping off the counter.

"Sure Mom," I said and with that, I walked off towards the patios, which lead to the back yard. My Dad was standing on the deck with a clipboard in handwriting stuff down.: Umm, Dad, we are ready." I said

"Thanks, Hun I Will be right there." He answered back without looking up. I shrugged my shoulders and walked back inside.

"Mom what is Dad doing? I asked as I came back Into the Kitchen. Just then my Dad walked in and sat his clipboard down.

"I'm just taking some measurements for the party. Our Baby Girl only turns 18 once." My Dad said beaming at me. Where my Mom's hair was a chocolate Brown my dad had a sort of Red Brown mix. His eyes were Hazel like mine and Moms were Brown. Both were about average Height.

"I can't believe my baby girl is growing up." My mother said as tears welled in her eyes. And there it was, My Mother, getting all emotional. It never fails. Thank God I had plans after dinner or I would have to hear It all night. I don't know how many times this week alone she has brought out my baby albums. All my friends including Josh have seen them at least twenty times now. It was so embarrassing. I reached over and hugged her." Mom I am turning eighteen, not moving away. Now let's go before we are late" I said She nodded her head and dabbed her eyes. We grabbed all the food and headed out.

***************************

Josh's parents' house was huge. I have been with Josh a year now and still managed to get lost in their house. As I went inside Mrs. Maurice hugged me and told me everyone was in "The Spot". "The Spot" Was a name Josh gave to the Game room and theater. It was where all the teens hung out in his home.