CHAPTER THREE

Sumer's POV

– – –

they let me out of the hospital two days later and as soon as I got home I ran out to the barn and let myself into Aries's stall. I looked at him for a second before stepping up to him and grabbing a fistful of his mane, swinging myself onto his back. I kicked his sides, directing him out of the stall, and headed for the woods, kissing him into a canter.

We soon made it to the field with the hawk and I slowed to a walk, as we emerged from the woods and into the field. Aries lifted his head up and I gripped his mane tightly in case he spooked. I squeezed him with my heels and he walked on through the field. When we made it to the other side with no problems, I patted his neck and turned around to head home.

– – –

"Sumer? You weren't just riding that horse were you?" My mom asked.

"Yeah, I was," I said, turning and rolling my eyes.

"I told you not to ride him for a while," she said.

"There was just something I had to do mom." She gave me a long hard look, before reaching for her phone.

"I was looking at this horse, she's up at Irongate Stables." She showed me a picture of a beautiful flea bitten grey horse. "And I wanted you to drive over there with me and take a look at her."

"Mom, we don't need another horse," I said. "Unless you're planning to help out in the barn." My mom hadn't been in the barn since my dad took his horse, Tellstar, and left.

"I guess I could maybe work that into my schedule.." She said hesitantly.

"Okay, let's go look at this horse." I said, heading out the door to the car.

– – –

An hour and a half later, we arrived at Irongate Stables. I saw a face look out the farmhouse window and she came rushing out when she saw us get out of the car.

"Hello," she said, cheerfully. "I'm Sandy, welcome to Irongate. Did you call about the horse?"

"Yes, I did. I'm Trina, and this is Sumer," my mom said, shaking Sandy's outstretched hand and then gesturing to me.

"It's great to meet you," Sandy said. "If you'll follow me up to the barn, I can show you Kamikazee."

We walked up a gravel path towards a big white barn with red shutters. Sandy slid open the red metal door and we stepped into an extremely clean barn. The isle was wide and about halfway down, if you turned left you would enter the indoor ring and across from that there was a door that I was pretty sure led to a tack room. All of the horses had trunks in front of the stalls and on both ends of the barn there were saddle racks.

As we walked down the isle, a few of the horses stuck their heads over the stall doors and I could see they were all beautifully groomed. I glanced into a stall and saw that it was huge.

"This is a really nice barn. I'm jealous," I said. Sandy looked down and smiled at me. We reached a stall on the right side second to the end of the barn, and as we approached it, a flea bitten grey horse poked his head over the door.

"This is Kamikazee," Sandy announced proudly.

"She's beautiful," my mom said.

I opened the stall door and looked at the horse standing in front of me. She had long, perfect legs, a slightly dipped back, and a beautiful flowing mane, not to mention her flea bitten coat was more then beautiful. I extended my hand and let her sniff the back of my hand before running my hand over her neck. I could feel the muscles right underneath her skin and I looked behind me and smiled at Sandy and my mom.