Chapter 27 - Made To Suffer

Night surrounds us as we reach the gates of the town and we keep low, hiding behind a car as we take in the sight before us. Up on the wall is a couple of guards keeping watch, some hush powered guns in their hands. We remain quiet and watch them for a long time, scoping out the situation. I hear a movement behind me and I turn to see Michonne walking away.

"Hey. Hey!" Rick whisper yells.

She keeps going and Rick steps back and takes the three of us in, "Alright we need to downsize." Rick says.

I take off my big gun and hand it to Oscar and he begins to pull out the smaller ones.

"There ain't no way they're checking all them buildings. They're lone guards there." Daryl states as he slings his gun over his back and replaces it with his crossbow.

Suddenly a twig snaps behind us and we all turn, our guns aimed at the bush. Michonne walks out and points us in an opposite direction, "This way." She mouths, walking off again.

I turn to Rick and he nods his head and soon enough we follow after her. We sneak our way around the perimeter until we reach a building. Michonne opens up the door and we sneak out way inside, being as quiet as possible. I keep my gun tightly in my hand, keeping an eye out for any threat.

"This is where you were held?" Rick asks Michonne.

"Questioned." She corrects.

Daryl walks past me and goes to look out the window as Rick asks her a question, "Do you know anywhere else they could be?"

She remains quiet as Rick walks forward and looks through the window. Daryl looks back at her, "I thought you said there was a curfew?"

"The street is packed during the day. Those are stragglers." She states.

Rick looks back at us, "If anyone comes in here we're sitting ducks, we gotta move."

"They could be in his apartment." Michonne says after a moment and we all look over to her.

"Yeah? What if they ain't?" Daryl asks, walking over to her.

"Then we'll look somewhere else." She sneers.

"You said you could help us." Rick says, getting frustrated.

"I am doing what I can." She defends herself.

"Then where the hell are they?" Oscar demands.

She clenches her jaw and Rick nods his head for us to come and talk to him away from her. I follow after the men and Rick turns to us, "If this goes south, we're cutting her loose."

"You think she's leading us into a trap?" Oscar asks.

"Right now it's the blind leading the blind." Daryl murmurs, "We'll split up."

Suddenly there is a knock at the door, my heart stopping at the sound. We all turn and look towards the door for a split second before running and hiding. I crouch down behind a corner with Daryl in front of me. He grips his crossbow and gestures for me to be quiet as the door opens and a voice calls out, "I know you're in here. I saw you moving from outside."

I hear the man walk further into the room as he continues to talk, "Alright now. You're not supposed to be in here, you know it. Who's in here?!" He demands when no one answers him.

Rick rushes forward and pins him against the wall with his gun aimed at his head, the rest of us doing the same, "Shut up and get on your knees!" Rick demands, moving back and letting him fall to the ground.

He kneels down in front of the man, "Hands behind your back, zip tie him."

Daryl begins to follow Rick's instructions as Rick looks the man in the eye, "Where are our people?"