Chapter 5

5: Homecoming

"See? You owe it all to me now since you two are the cutest darn thing I ever did see. If you were a senior, I'd vote you for Homecoming Queen. You can wear that dorky tiara that Meghen Fay wore last year. And if you're lucky, maybe I can rig the voting in your favor." Abi winked at me, smiling and then taking a bite of her grease filled pizza.

"And if you're lucky, you won't die or gain a hundred pounds from eating that filth," I commented, resting my head on Drew's shoulder.

It had been only a week or so since our first 'date'. If you could even call it that. After all, Drew had firmly lodged the kitchen knife into the wall, after Sabrina had scared both of us silly. The aftermath wasn't pretty.

 "What the-?"

"Don!"

"But what the heck did that boy do to you last night?"

"He didn't do anything Dad! Blame Sabrina!"

"What? All I did was scare you. He was the one who overreacted and tried to kill me. Personally, I think the knife in the wall completes the look. Now we just need to smear blood on the-"

"Sab shut up!"

"He tried to kill you?! That's it, you are not allowed to see that boy again until we press charges."

I stared at my dad in disbelief. Charges? All he had done was get the knife stuck in the wall and nearly impaled Sab! "Dad, he isn't a criminal or anything. He didn't hit your car when he left. I don't think Abi did either, but-"

"No buts, Zaria."

"Haha, butts..." Kaleb laughed. Since when had he been here?

"Speaking of which, that friend of yours with the multicolored hair isn't allowed over here either. Nothing good can come from a girl who's dyed her hair like that. How could her parents even let her do that? And how did she get her driving license? She nearly rear ended my car!" Dad looked at me, waiting for some sort of excuse as a response, as though his reasoning wasn't a bunch of crap considering where we'd grown up.

"Her parents are divorced, so she kinda needs to drive. And I don't know. She's half as insane as most of the people on the streets of Los Angeles."

I had a point there. There were always people dressed as different movie characters parading up and down the streets for picture taking with tourists. And then there were people who ran around naked, smoked weed in the alleys, and the ones who made out at the corners waiting to cross... Oh, LA.

"I don't care. I don't want either of them coming over anymore." He turned to look at the knife, grabbing it with his left hand and pulling it forcefully.

Abi simply shrugged. We all knew that she would eat anything. She had pretended to eat my hand one day when she didn't have enough money to pay for lunch. At least, I think she was pretending. But I gave her half of my cookie anyways.

"So when is homecoming anyways?" I asked, though I knew well that it would be this week.

"Gee, do you ever listen to the mysterious voices or are you just like, 'Drew, oh Drew! Wherefore art though Drew?' Because if you really wanna be his Juliet, then you both kill yourselves in the end. Pretty sick love story right there."

"Sick as in good, or like, actually bad?" I asked, constantly confused by her conflicting sentences.

"Eh, I'll let you figure that out. Don't want to kill your intellect and tell ya what I know you want to hear." Again, she was confusing me, but I left it at that.