하나

word count: 1171 words

————————————————————————

when someone you love dies, do you not die with them?

a piece of your heart torn forcefully from your chest, leaving a gaping hole where something beautiful used to live.

when taehyungs whole family perishes in a house fire, leaving him as the only survivor, his heart is torn 4 times more than the usual.

mom
dad
brother
sister

all gone.

he never knew actual pain before. he thought he did, of course. but he did not know the pure anguish that came along with something this terrifying.

he spent days in his bed. not eating, not moving, not blinking. he was barely breathing. grief took over who taehyung used to be.

the bubbly and excitable boy had been replaced with a broken boy, one that couldn't even swim out of his pool of misery. he wallowed in its depths, dragging his happiness with him.

he spent weeks berating himself. 'it should've been me' 'they had so much more to live for' 'why not take me with them?'

he heaved himself through the halls of school, zoning in and out of class. it's not like anyone would notice him anyways.

or so he thought.

little did he know a boy at the opposite corner of all his classes noticed exactly what taehyung thought no one payed attention to.

min yoongi, the mysterious outcast of the 11th grade noticed.

he noticed how thin taehyung had become, he noticed the bags that sunk into his face and spoke clearly for themselves, he noticed how pale taehyung had become and how his shoulders slumped, he noticed the liquid sorrow that poured quietly out of his eyes as the teacher droned on about ions or grammatical terms. he noticed more than he let on.

lunch time came and, as per usual, taehyung fled the cafeteria on the brink of sobbing.

this time, yoongi followed him.

taehyung sat in the corner of the restroom, curled deeply into himself. hands wrapped around legs and face pressed against knees. he rocked violently back and forth, slowly letting the grief out of him in large ugly weeps. he didn't notice yoongi walk in, but he did notice two warm arms wrap tightly around him from the back. they soothed him. two lips whispered meaningless promises into his ear, but they still settled broken taehyung.

after the tears had subsided, taehyung twisted his neck around. his watery eyes met yoongis soft brown ones. yoongi let go of the boy and sat back on his butt, elbows resting on legs bent at an angle. he watched taehyung carefully as he swung his whole body to face him. head tilted to the side, yoongi observed. taehyung looked even worse than before. taehyung scooter backed and stared at yoongi.

"how..how did you know?" taehyung asked, cute hiccups bouncing out of his mouth as he pawed at his teary eyes. he didn't think anyone noticed his routine break down in the secluded men's restroom.

yoongi replied somberly "how could I not know. anyone with half a brain would recognize that you aren't okay, taehyung."

yoongi gingerly held his hand out, willing taehyung to take it. he came forward slowly and placed his big, shaking hands into yoongis slim pale ones. yoongi pulled taehyung in between his legs and they sat in a tangled mess, closer than normal. faces inches apart, yoongi reached out with one hand and gently caressed taehyungs smooth cheek, wiping away any lingering tears.

his hand moved towards taehyungs silky brown hair and his fingers rubbed comforting circles on the nape of taehyungs neck. it sent a sedative like feeling through the boys bones. yoongi pressed their foreheads together and spoke to taehyung in a low voice:

"i know it's hard, losing someone you love. i know from experience. it does get better, you know. that sounds generic and exactly like what everyone else would tell you..but it is true. it doesn't ever go away, the pain I mean. but it does get better. your heart, it won't ever fully heal. but if you surround yourself with things that make you happy then the process will speed up. this is what humans were designed to do, taehyung. we were designed to feel pain, and then slowly mend our hearts. I'm not saying it's easy, don't misunderstand me. but if you'd let me, I'd like to help you. i will be here for you, tae. i will...." a single drop left yoongis red eyes.

taehyung took a deep, tremulous breath and closed his eyes. a few more tears fell freely from them. silent sighs left his plump lips and he knew that this offer was one he would accept. no one had ever been this understanding of him in a long while now.

"how can you help me?" questioned taehyung.

"i can be here for you, tae. i won't try to fix you, but ill try to smooth over the pieces. i can be your shoulder to cry on, i can be your outlet. im only one call away, and ill always be there for you. when you need me, i will be there. all i want is for you to be happy, my precious tae."

yoongis words ran off into taehyungs mind, leaving a resounding silence in the air. after a few beats of quiet taehyung responded.

"okay yoongi, okay"

yoongi was surprised that he knew his name but he didn't question it. he pulled taehyung to the ground next to him and hugged him tightly. he ran his short nails lightly over taehyungs back and kissed his forehead as a mother would kiss her child, leaving his lips there for more than 5 seconds.

yes, they were on the dirty bathroom floor and yes, it was cold and hard but in that moment neither boy could care much. they found warmth in each other, they found a home in each other. taehyung was at peace, for once in his life since the fire and yoongi, he was making the boy he loved feel better. yes, the boy he loved.

taehyung smiled, despite the sadness that sat in his chest. he finally had someone there for him. he didn't realize that he needed a hand to hold. he thought he could do this himself.

the pair stood up and resumed their hug while on two feet. yoongi, being the shorter, buried his face into taehyungs neck. taehyung sat his chin on yoongis pale blonde head and then laid his cheek there instead. the two released each other and stared deeply into each other's eyes, almost as if reaching for whatever soul they had stuffed deep down inside them.

yoongi smiled at him and in that moment he forgot everything. he was content, finally swimming his way out. he smiled back and grabbed yoongis hand, leading him out of the restroom and to the cafeteria to finish the lunch they had left behind.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

and piece by piece yoongi did put taehyung back together