Chapter Thirteen

Slaying his demons at the lists was becoming a routine duty he undertook every night. Four days after the arrival of the MacDonald's, Cade was close to snapping with the amount of people around him at every moment of the day. Another messenger from Laird Duncan had arrived and been thralled, but his decision would have to be made soon.

He sensed someone approach, safe from the rain beneath the eaves of the keep, but did not dare stop when his moods were too brittle.

Cade fought the dummy until his breathing was ragged and his body began to wear itself out. Only when his blood had settled some did he drop his arms and toss his head back, letting the cold rain tickle his face. Steam radiated off his hot body, and he steadied his breathing.

Lady Isabel had been too occupied to speak to him since the night he carried her to a bedchamber to sleep. She was avoiding him, as she did Richard, and this disturbed Cade more than it should.

"Cade."

He lowered the practice swords, unable to snap at Father Adam.

"Niall returned from court."

Interest flooded him. He turned and strode to the eaves where Father Adam stood with a messenger's bag still dripping with water. "What does it say?" he asked eagerly.

"Lady Isabel's claim is merited," Father Adam replied. "She is the sole heir to the MacCosse lands."

Cade's mind began to race once more as he considered what it could mean for his clan. She had refused his proposal, but he could force the issue.

The only problem: he had no warriors to stake the claim and defend it once he had.

"Ye traveled the Highlands," he said. "What d'ye ken of the MacCosse lands?"

"They are vast but the last keep was burnt upon their laird's death."

"We would need gold."

"Much of it," Father Adam agreed. "The lands be easier to d'fend, for the laird who had the means to do so."

Learning more only seemed to muddy his decision. "Where is Niall?"

"Here," his cousin called from down the hallway. The ugly seillie warrior trotted towards them. "Ye told him, priest?"

"Yea."

"I brought ye wine." Niall pulled a pitcher from his saddlebags. "The king's own."

Father Adam's eyes lit up. "No swill fer me tonight!" he exclaimed and took it, leaving them at a quick shuffle.

"Now ye ken," Niall said, studying Cade. "What do ye think?"

Cade shook his head. "No matter what I think, we need gold. We canna stay here without it. We canna go there without it. We canna house the MacDonald's much longer without it."

"Brian told me of Laird Duncan's demands."

"I canna ignore him for long."

"What will ye do?"

Cade was quiet, recalling how his cousin was rutting with the MacDonald lass. It was one more matter to discuss, one he did not feel ready to address yet. They needed no discord among them when their clan was in danger. "I doona ken," he said finally. "Did ye learn more at court?"

Niall snorted. "Lady Isabel ... yer certain she isna one of us?"

"She is not. Why?"

"When I asked about the MacCosse lands, I was sent straight t'the king's stewart and given a private audience. The stewart asked after her so oft, I'd think they were wed, if he were not too old."