Chapter Twenty One

Isabel looked out over the valley in dismay. The MacCosse lands had no proper shelter for the two clans seeking refuge there, aside from forests. As she watched from the hilltop where she rode beside her brother, more clan members arrived. They were greeted with cheers and welcomed to woodsy homes. Seillie magic had turned the canopies of trees into roofing supported by strong boughs. Smaller trees and branches lower to the ground appeared to hold hands to prevent the rain from reaching the ground beneath them while shrubbery had cleared away and piled itself, along with loose leaves and twigs, into walls surrounding the sheltered space. Smoke rose from several points, and large spits with rotating meats stood a short distance from the forest.

The rain had not stopped once during the long, dreary ride from the bluff where John had been hiding. Soaked and cold, Isabel observed what she could from the scene below them, growing more concerned.

"They have few warriors," John said and leaned forward on the withers of his horse. "Laird Duncan will destroy them."

"The seillie are no' ken fer warring," came a gruff voice from nearby. One of the MacLachlainn kin melted from the bushes marking the edge of the forest. "Lady Cade." He dipped his head to her.

"'Tis a shame, since men like Cade make for worthy warriors," John said.

"We wish t'laugh no' fight. Some o'us are born with the warrior fire but most are no'."

She offered a smile at the troubled warrior. If his seasoned age were representative of those left to fight, there was no hope at all for the clans.

"Father Henry will want t'see ye, Lady," the warrior said. "D'ye bring word of our laird?"

"I do not," she said. "No word has reached you?"

"We heard the keep was on fire and Laird Duncan marching towards us. He comes with English knights."

Her breath caught. You all will be slaughtered. Had they truly believed they would be safe to come here? That Laird Duncan would not hesitate to cross into MacCosse lands as he did the lands of every other clan?

She had no doubt the English knights were none other than Richard's men, though she had not thought him to possess many outside of Saxony's, whose vassals and lands he was quick to claim as his own.

"You need to be farther into the MacCosse holdings," John stated.

"We doona listen to English," came the stubborn response. "Lady Cade, I am Douglas MacLachlainn, appointed t'protect our kin by Laird Cade. I await yer command."

She was quiet, not expecting the clan leadership to fall to her so quickly. Did they assume Cade was dead, and this was why they did not wait for him? She found it close to impossible to breathe when she thought of Cade dead.

John nudged his horse closer to hers. "Command them to move beyond the valley, closer to the ocean. The valley forms a trap, and Laird Duncan will command the high ground."

Her gaze went to the direction he indicated. "But where do they hide?" she challenged. "There is only forest and the ocean."

"Isabel, if the battle reaches them, they will be at Laird Duncan's mercy. But if we use the valley to trap his men, the seillie will have a chance to flee if the battle is unfavorable."

She fidgeted with the reins. Never had she thought such a decision would fall to her. In an English household, it never would, unless every male member of the family were gone.

Douglas waited for her decision.

"We need to move close to the ocean," she told him firmly. "At once."