Chapter Six

The next morning Luana woke to the gleam of warm orange sunbeams falling across the bed and the smell of food. She heard the clink of metal and discovered what she could only assume were her promised handmaids preparing her breakfast.

"The young miss has woken!" one said, quickly moving to Luana's side as she stepped out of the giant bed.

"Where is Prince Baylin?" Luana asked curiously. She felt truly guilty for her anger toward him the night before, and his absence made her worry that she was to pay for her insolent behavior.

"His Grace said to tell the young miss, should she ask, that he will return shortly. He has chosen to break his fast with the King and Queen this morning," said another maid who was laying out a tray of bread and cheese.

It was hard for Luana to tell the maids apart. All three wore the same simple brown dress with cream-colored cowls covering their hair completely. They were all so very plain that she could not determine any way to define one from the other.

Luana walked to the small wooden table where a meal of bread, cheese, fruit and a covered tray had been laid out.

She sat down and uncovered the tray to reveal quail eggs. She simply adored quail eggs! Her mother and father would get them for her birthday, but hadn't been able to afford them the past few years.

'Did Prince Baylin do this?' She pondered the eggs. 'No, surely quails eggs aren't a rarity at all within the castle.'

As she finished her meal, the chamber door opened and in walked a hunched-over, wrinkled old man in long blue robes. He had a silver beard, but no hair on his head. He carried a black leather bag and wore a large golden medallion of the healers around his neck.

'He's ancient! He must be nearly ninety years old,' Luana thought as she observed the man. He had a kind face, even with his cloudy grey eyes. Luana had heard that physicians were actually born into their profession, passed from father to son. There were certainly no female physicians, save midwives. The knowledge this elderly man possessed had been passed down through the generations for thousands of years, and he appeared to carry the weight of that knowledge and he hobbled, stooped over a cane, toward her.

"My dear," he creaked. "I am Master Keon, the royal physician. I have come to ensure last night's events were properly consummated."

A flush of fear took Luana. She had heard rumors that bed wives who were unsuccessful in producing children were forced out of the castle in disgrace. Not even their families would take them then. If that happened, she would have nowhere to go.

"Um, my Lord Keon..." she fumbled.

"He is no Lord, I assure you," Prince Baylin said as he walked through the door. "Master Keon, my account of the evening should be more than enough to confirm it's...success."

Everyone bowed as Baylin crossed the room to Luana. She felt it was only right to display the same courtesies and bow. "Your Grace."

He cupped her chin, turning her eyes to him. "You need not ever bow to me, my dear," There was a sad kindness in his eyes and if it were possible, he was even more handsome by the light of the rising sun.

"My Prince," the physician squeaked as he shuffled toward Luana. "It is customary to examine the bed wife to ensure everything has gone according to order."

Baylin protectively placed himself between Luana and the old man. "And you are telling me the word of your future King is not as accurate as your confounded instruments?"

The anger in his tone threw off the old man. "At least allow me to examine the bed linens to make sure her maidenhood was properly taken."

Luana sucked in a breath in fear. She knew the bed had not yet been changed, and it would be obvious that nothing had happened the night before.

"I'm afraid I will have to disappoint you there again, Master Keon," Baylin said with a slight laugh. "We didn't exactly make it to the bed."

The old man blushed slightly as comprehension took place. "Well... I... I see... Well..."

Baylin patted the old man on the shoulder to send him on his way. "Do not worry. I was there, you know. I can account for all that happened."

Still flushed with embarrassment, the old man hobbled out of the room mumbling under his breath.

Luana stared in silence at Baylin as her maids cleared the table and bed linens. 'Why?' she thought. 'Why did he lie to protect me?' She shook off the sentiment with another thought. It was merely his pride. He didn't want to admit he had been denied.

Baylin walked over to her and ran his hand down her shoulder and arm. She winced slightly from the pain of the pale purple bruises from their struggle the night before.

"I should have had him treat these," he said sadly, staring into her eyes.

"It is fine," she replied stiffly, attempting to shake off his hand. His very touch was like the warmth of the sun.

One of her handmaids laid out a beautiful gown of pale blue and gold.

"I need to dress for the day." Luana made her way over to the handmaid. She hoped the excuse would give him reason to leave her to collect her thoughts.

"I will be traveling to Rivermouth today. I will be back to sup with you," he said as he made his way from the room.

As he strode by the small breakfast table, he turned to her. "The quail eggs, were they to your liking?"

Luana looked up at the hopeful smile on his face. He did have the eggs brought to her.

She could not help but smile. "They were truly wonderful, Your Grace. Thank you."

He smiled warmly, nodded and left the room.