Eyes Wide Open

I couldn’t sleep that night. It was impossible to even think about sleeping for even fifteen minutes. I used my restlessness to fix the phone, which was an intelligent task, as all I had were a pair of pliers and gloves. I was cautious not to electrocute myself, as I had done so in the past and had to go to the emergency room. As I twisted the last wire in its rightful place, there was an unknown light source that flooded in behind me. I popped up from my squat and peeked out the window. However, the car didn’t stop in front of the motel, but instead drove on the road leading to the house.

I placed my tools down on the counter and walked briskly to the office where I had a clearer view of the house. Moving the curtain aside, I watched as the two yellow lights parked in front of the house. The lights went off and a figure walked out from the driver’s side. I couldn’t tell if he, or she, was holding anything, but the arms looked occupied. As I watched the person start up the stairs, I was suddenly overpowered by a shadow and a hand caught my shoulder.

Jumping and swinging an arm around in protection, I knocked the intruder in what felt like the face and stumbled backwards.

“Oliver! It’s your mother!” the voice cried out.

I caught myself on the window sill and stared breathlessly at my mother. I looked back out the window and the car was still there. “Then, who’s that?”

My mother looked over my shoulder and then looked at me with saddened eyes. “Baby, that’s just the person who owns that house. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Walking in small steps, I fell into my mom’s arms and hid in her protection. She stroked my hair and rocked me back and forth. “I didn’t know where you were,” I mumbled.

“I tried to call you, but the phone must’ve been out. The car broke down and I had to walk to the nearest residence area. I’m sorry you were here alone.”

Remembering that I had had visitors that day, I said, “Not exactly. I mean, I wasn’t alone, you see. Two people came to the motel earlier and said that they knew my father. The lady’s name was Lila Crane.”

At that, my mother’s arms dropped from me and she stepped back, her eyes drifting off in intense thought. “What did she want?”

“Money. But, she doesn’t want it now, so we don’t have to worry. It’s not a big deal, Mom. We can go now, right?”

“Oliver, listen, please don’t argue with me, but I must go back to the sheriff’s. There is something I need to settle.” She rushed out of the room, but I followed.

“Mother, please, I know you wanted the money from the Cranes, but you can have it because they don’t want it. A-and, I don’t want the motel! Everything’s creepy here, I want to leave.” I stopped when my mother turned around to face me.

“Norman--,” she began before I gently corrected her.

“It’s, Oliver.”

“I’m sorry,” she pressed her palm against her forehead and took in a deep exhalation. “Oliver, you must understand that I have a lot of paperwork to sort out. You got to be all right being alone for a bit.”

“I thought you had left me forever,” I said pitifully, rubbing my hands together.

“Darling, I wouldn’t do that. But I do have to be doing work until things get settled. I told you, we’re here for a week and then we can go home. Go and get some sleep.” She patted my cheek and left the motel. I heard our car rumble to a start and then pull out into the street. As I watched her leave, raindrops began tittering on the roof, making a musical sound that was its own lullaby. I closed the door behind her and went over to the phone. I pulled out the phonebook beside the registry book and flipped to the sheriff’s number. I hoped that Mrs. Crane and her daughter had made it there.