•12•

(Toon Links POV)

–3 YEARS AGO–

"What's it like," Tetra began. My feet were buried in the sand of the Outset Island Shore. She smiled, then sighed a little. "To be a hero?"

I sat there as her words entered my ears. I pondered the question, and looked at her. "I don't want to be a hero...I just want to fight like everyone else."

Tetra's eyes widened. She looked shocked, and stared at me with a clear confusion pasted on her face. "Huh."

She stood up off the beach, and dusted the sand off her bikini. "Care to jump in the water with me?" She acted like the whole moment before had never happened. The thing was, it stuck with me deep down inside.

"Yeah, why not." I responded, robotically. She frowned at my reaction.

"C'mon, stop pouting, will ya? This isn't the Link I know. What's gotten into you, today?"
I turned away and looked at the green grass, far from the beach. My paranoid 13 year old mind always had something going on inside it.

"I dunno."

"Well, you better figure it out. I'm definitely not gonna sit here all day and listen to you mope around! Get in the water!" She snapped.

"Geez, okay." At that, I stood up and ran towards the water. I immediately dove in, the oceans clear water a perfect remedy for my flaming body.

It felt refreshing, and for the first time in a while, I felt at peace with the world.

Three months prior, I killed someone. Was I a murderer? The victim was none other than Ganondorf, but I couldn't get over the fact I had ended someone's life. Sure, he had tried to end many more lives, but it still felt slightly unjustified. Of course these were thoughts I had never shared with anyone, as they would quickly pass it off as foolish. But there was more to it.

"The water is freezing!" Tetra shouted as I floated up above the water.

"Not once you actually get in!" I remarked. She stood there, flinching every time the water went above her waist.

I ran over to her, and splashed the water all over her face. "Oh no you didn't!" She screamed, and continued to splash immeasurable amounts of salt water all over me.

We both laughed, the sun beginning to set. We hopped out of the ocean, and returned to our towels. We wrapped them around us as the day drew darker, and the air grew colder. A breeze swept across the island, as the palm trees swayed in the wind.

"I know why you're upset." Tetra began.

"Huh?" I replied. "Hah, yeah, nice one. Sorry, but I'm a pretty complex guy, Tetra."

"And I'm a girl who understands everything that hurts you."

I chuckled at the response. "Hah, okay. Then why am I upset?"

"You think your a murderer."

I gaped, and crazed thoughts filled my mind. "Can she read my mind, or am I dreaming? Does she have superpowers or an I.Q. of 180?"

"Uh...the hell..." Yep, go me. That's all I managed to choke out as I realized I may have just met my soul mate.

"After your showdown with Ganondorf, that's all that's on your mind. I can tell. Your behavior has changed tremendously. Don't try to hide it from me."

I remained silent.

"Link, you aren't a murderer. You saved the world, when Ganondork tried to destroy it!" She shook me by my shoulders, a fuzzy feeling being carried all throughout my body.