Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Akkadi returned to his quarters from the battle deck, satisfied with one area of his life. He could run a battle better than his father and negotiate treaties with the skill of his mother. The preparations for wiping out the Ishta on the human’s planet were going well. He’d have it cleared out by the time his mating ceremony came, though whether or not the planet was worth saving at this point was a question no one was addressing.

Deep in thought, he didn’t notice the unclad woman in his bed, until she spoke.

“The agreement has been accepted by my father.”

He stopped in place and turned to see Hichele standing near his bed, her robes on the floor around her. The skin on her body was as translucent as that on her face. Her breasts were small, and her hips and waist were the same size. She had little shape, just as her features had little distinction.

“We can make your heir, now,” Hichele said. “I have the advisors’ permission to become your consort.”

He was accustomed to the rather plain bodies of the Naki women. He sought them out as consorts while his cousins sought out those who were more human in appearance. Sex was a necessity for physical release and a duty to produce heirs. Akkadi tried to regard it as such, ignoring his cousins’ claims that there was a great deal of pleasure to be had.

Humans knew pleasure. Akkadi was Naki. Even so, there was nothing appealing about the woman before him. He found himself wishing it was Mandy naked in his quarters.

Hichele prostrated herself on her back on his bed, assuming the position every Naki woman to date had taken. Naki mating was a simple rite, one without romance or passion. He never had a problem with the process but didn’t feel up to dealing with Hichele today. Barely acquiescing to taking a mate, he was even less ready for an heir.

“I am needed on the battle deck,” he said, retreating towards the door. “I came to conduct a personal communication before returning.”

Hichele appeared surprised.  

“You have no desire for me?” she asked.

“I will perform my duty as expected.” He gave a canned response. “I feel little desire for any woman, as is expected for a Naki.”

Red crossed her face, but she bowed her head.

“We will consummate our agreement some other time, Hichele,” he said. “You will have an heir in your womb before the ceremony.”

These words made her brighten. She gathered her robes.

“I can come to you tomorrow,” she said.

“Very well,” he replied.

Pleased, she dressed quickly and left him. Akkadi waited for her to go then released his breath. Chances were, she would be with child before their ceremony. It was the way of most matings of the Nakis. The agreement was often secured by an heir and thus far, Hichele was persistent in pursuing him.

He paced to the window, staring at the planet. He’d yet to hear from his father about the humans or the agreement but suspected his father wouldn’t disagree with the arrangement. He wasn’t sure why, but he almost wished his father would. He stood for a long while, mind on the upcoming treaties and battles. He wanted a mate that wouldn’t distract him; Hichele was perfect in that role. He felt neither desire for her or the need to speak to her. Their life together would be formal, leaving him with time to conduct his duties.