Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen 

Akkadi awoke alone. He rolled onto his side, surprised to find Mandy gone. His hand lingered on the space she’d occupied before grim reality set in.

It was the day of his official betrothal announcement. She knew the night was to be their last together. Did he blame her for leaving before he was awake?

No. 

“Your father wishes to see you.”  

Akkadi sighed. He rose quickly and dressed, aware his father was the last person he’d keep waiting. He strode through the corridors to the lift, the scent of Mandy lingering on his skin. Only when he was alone in the tiny elevator did he raise his hands to his face and breathe her in. 

His blood heated instantly, his whole body lighting up with need. Focused on her, he didn’t notice the door had opened until someone cleared her throat in the hallway outside.

“Brother,” Akkasha said stiffly in greeting.

“Akkasha,” he replied, bowing his head. 

Akkadi left the elevator and strode to his parent’s quarters. He paused, waiting for the guards to indicate he was permitted to enter. 

His mother sat in her sitting area, her face glowing. Akkadi suspected his father arrived home earlier than expected and kept her up all night. He dwelled on her declaration from the evening before. Outside the walls, his father was purely Naki. Inside them, he expressed the emotions of humans.

She was telling him there was a way to work out the confusion Akkadi felt towards Mandy, that he could come home to her each night and be at peace. What would that be like? To find a safe haven in her arms and smile?

It was useless to dwell on. He already made an agreement with another woman. 

Akkadi bowed to his mother. 

“I came to see Father,” he said.

“I am here, Akkadi,” his father replied.

Akkadi faced the windows and bowed deeply to the Naki king. Akkalon was his height and thickly built rather than lean like Akkadi. His hair was blond and his eyes blue, his chiseled features colder than stone. 

“You are ready for your announcement?” Akkalon boomed.

“Of course, Father,” Akkadi replied. “I may keep today brief. I am expecting the Kini as well.”

“Duty is important,” his father said. “Family more so.”

Akkadi met his father’s gaze, not expecting the words. Their relationship had long been marked by formality and duty. He didn’t speak to his father the way he did his mother. 

“Hichele was called away early this morning. Her mother has taken ill. They have not gone far; her father’s ship is in orbit,” his father continued. “Her father apologized to me personally. They intend to make the official ceremony this evening then return to Hichele’s mother.”

“Understandable,” Akkadi said, completely unconcerned about the family of the woman he was obligated to marry. “Your journey went well?”

“It did. Qiadi has asked to see the energy cells this morning.”

“I’ll have them sent to his laboratory.”

“Very well.” His father exchanged a look with Akkadi’s mother, who rose.

“Your humans are gone,” she started, settling her gaze on him. “They disappeared early this morning.”

“Disappeared,” Akkadi repeated. “Both of them?”