Chapter 2 Investigating the Noise

Despite what every part of me was screaming at me to not wander around in the forest in the dark, something compelled me to sate my curiosity. Lighting a stick on fire, I proceeded into the cold woods. A sharp gasp caught me off guard. Frantically waving your torch I whisper-yelled, "Who's there!? Show yourself!"

The sound of crunching snow behind me startled every nerve in my body. Spinning around, my torchlight met another human being. He was clutching his arm as if it were wounded and he was wearing a ridiculous looking pair of furry earmuffs. I could barely make out the shape of his hair in the darkness, as it was all black. He must not have been too scared of me to approach. He appeared to not have slept in days or weeks.

"Wh-what are you doing here?" I asked defensively. The man uncovered his ears to hear me better, but it made him shiver.

As if he didn't want to remember, he explained, "My fire was t-taken...I almost got swallowed by a monster but I noticed your fire and started running...The damn thing got me pretty good...I don't suppose you have any bandages lying about?"

I shook my head, "Um, no, I haven't been here very long - in fact just this morning I woke up here."

He turned away from me to mutter, "Goddamn it, Maxwell, another one? Why are you roping people into this mess...? What is it for...?"

"Excuse me?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Oh, nothing, I'm simply speaking with myself," He shivered, "Let's head over to the fire and I'll explain everything. You need to put more into it anyway."

"Right."

As we both sat there by the fire, I quickly introduced myself, "So, my name is ___. What's yours?"

"Wilson," He said simply, feeling content by the fire, "So you remember nothing, is that correct? Why you're here or what happened before Maxwell dragged you to this forsaken place?"

"Maxwell? Is that the guy I saw disappear into the ground after he talked to me...? And, um...no...I can't remember anything."

"Hmm...I see. I'm not quite sure why he brought you here, but I know for sure I got taken because he has a special interest in scientists," Wilson pondered silently for a moment, cutely sticking his tongue out of his mouth. After a moment he spoke again, "Are you a scientist? Have any special skills? Anything noteworthy...?"

I gave him a shrug, which was the best answer he could possibly get given my confusion to the whole situation, "I'm just a normal, everyday person I guess. Hey, how long have you been here, anyway?"

Wilson sighed heavily, "About twenty-five days now. I'm so tired of this wretched game...I want to go home."

"If we even can go home, that is..." I said somberly. My stomach growled again.

"Oh, if you're hungry I've got some extra food," Wilson smiled and dug in his pack. He took out some meat and carrots, "I ate a little while ago, so you can have as much as you want."

My eyes glistened in the fireglow and my mouth began to water, "Thank you thank you!" I made quick work of the food and gulped it down in a flash. I felt full and much better.

Wilson chuckled, "You've only been here a day and you're already eating like you've been out here for three days without food. Tomorrow we'll go out hunting." He took a few twigs, flint, and a rope to make me a spear, "This should help protect you for the time being. I have a lot more supplies at my camp and we can rush over there first thing in the morning."