III

Wedged in the back of a TIE-Fighter, Ben Solo watched as systems flashed by.

He leaned back, stomach in knots.

Averann, Ilia, Mei, all dead, by his own hand.

A huge Star Destroyer loomed into view.

The pilot's radio crackled to life, requesting identification. "RH-2190, with the Supreme Leader's apprentice."

The shields lowered and they were allowed to pass through.

Ben watched as the Destroyer grew larger and larger.

Impressed?

He nodded, then replied internally, "Yes, master."

Good, good. When you arrive, two of the Knights will be waiting for you. Finally, we shall see each other face to face. I look forward to it.

A rush of excitement rocketed through his veins. The man who'd exposed him to this power, who'd hidden himself while wreaking havoc throughout the galaxy, was eagerly waiting to see him!

He composed himself. "Yes, master."

The TIE-Fighter landed and Ben got out. His legs were shaky from the day's events and his flight.  Quin and Wyal step out of their own respective TIE-Fighters, blinking in the hangar.

He fixed a glare on a sniggering officer. Two men in all black stepped up. The Knights of Ren. He noticed that neither had lightsabers, but one had a staff sparking with electricity, and the other a black blaster.

Neither spoke, but they indicated for the three to follow.

They wound down the corridors, passing rank upon rank of curious stormtroopers. One room they passed had children, no older than four, training in hand to hand combat. Another, ten-year-olds shooting holographic targets that looked suspiciously like Captain Organa, Lando Calrissian, Poe Dameron, and various Senate members.

The three traitors looked out of place, walking between two black-clad Knights, in their academy attire.

Finally, the Knights paused at a large door and punched in an access code. It slid open.

Before them was a huge chamber, with stairs going down to the floor. Ben figured that this room was the entire height of the Star Destroyer.

The Knights led him down the stairs to the metal floor.

Ben looked around the chamber, searching for the door his master would come out of. There was a massive throne against the far wall, but Ben could not figure out how the Star Destroyer could possibly accommodate a creature that size.

One of the Knights pressed a black-gloved finger to his wrist. "Master, we have brought the boys."

Ben glared at the Knight. Judging by his voice, he wasn't much older than him.

Then a form flickered in the chair.

A hologram!

But the technology was much better than what they had at the base on Dunov. It looked like he were really there.

The two Knights dropped to one knee, leaving Ben, Wyal, and Quin to stand alone, between them.

The hologram looked down at him. "Hello, Ben Solo.  Quin Schill.  Wyal Trace."

So this was Master!  Quin and Wyal fell to their knees.

Ben dipped his head respectfully. "Master."

"Why don't you bow?"

"I did not know it was you." Ben followed the Knights' suit and went to one knee.

Head down, he extended his Force to know what was happening.

Snoke motioned both of the Knights to stand and go to the stairs.

Ben kept his head down, hands pressed one on top of the other on his knee, as Snoke swore Wyal and Quin into the Knights of Ren.

"Ben Solo," Master said again.

He lifted his head. "Yes, Master?"

But Master was contemplating something. Finally, he spoke. "You cannot go by that name anymore. Ben Solo is dead. You are being reborn into the power of the Dark Side."

"What do I call myself?"

Snoke thought again. "First, you must vow to give yourself entirely to the First Order, the Knights of Ren, and to me."

Ben nodded, still kneeling. "I vow it."

"Good."

Ben was looking at the ground again, but used the Force to see what was happening. The metal stairs behind him creaked as three more Knights descended. Only one of these had a considerable footprint in the Force.

Snoke's voice rose, as if he should be standing, to make his announcement, but the chamber would not allow it. "Before his fellow Knights of Ren, I announce to them their leader. The grandson of Darth Vader shall do great things for the First Order."

The Knights prickled with annoyance that this new, young Knight would be their leader, when in their minds, he knew nothing.

"Rise, my apprentice," Master said.

Ben did so.

"Ignite your saber, and hold it before you."

He obeyed. The red light flickered off of the throne and the wall, turning the hologram reddish.

Snoke appraised it, and he could feel the other Force-sensitive Knight's approval.

"Good," Master whispered.

Then he spoke to the Knights. "Welcome your new commander, Kylo Ren."