Sun Is Gone, The Nights Are Long

Reject's POV

"Go away."

No

"Please?"

No

"Why not?"

No

"That's not an answer."

I was starting to get frustrated. They weren't giving me an actual answer. It felt like I was talking to a machine. Whatever I asked it, I would just get a flat mechanical response. No feeling was put into it at all. It was sort of like a tape that was just replaying over and over again.

"Can I come in?" I heard a knock at the door to my studio. I opened the door. It was Luke.

He has a weapon. He's going to hurt you.

"Hey," Luke said softly, "Are you okay?" I vigorously nodded. "Uh, can I come in? There's something I need to talk to you about."

Let him in. Then you have to check him for his weapon. If you can get it from him, then you have to kill him so he can't hurt you or anyone else.

No! I'm not going to kill Luke. I'm not going to hurt him or anyone else. I'm starting to get scared. They've never told me to harm anyone else before. I don't want to harm anyone, I'm sure of that.

I opened the door a wider and let Luke in. I circled the room to look for my whiteboard so I could sneak glances at him from all angles. What if he actually does have a weapon? What if he really does want to hurt me?

"Here's your whiteboard, if you want it. Michael told me that you talked to him. That's pretty cool." Luke nudged the whiteboard towards me. I pretended not to hear him and continued looking. I'm not going to use anything that he touched. I got my other one from behind the paintbrushes.

"Here, sit down." Luke sat on the floor. I did too...about 6 feet away from him. He still might be carrying a weapon.

"You can come closer," He held his hands up with his palms open, "I don't have anything on me, I swear." He dug around in his pockets, "Except for my wallet, 20 bucks, and a condom. Ooops. You didn't need to know about that last one. We'll just keep that one between me and you."

Lies. He's probably hiding it somewhere else.

Luke took a deep breath, "I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that thing with the cupboards yesterday. I didn't want to scare you like I did, I was just confused and...I don't know. It's hard to explain."

Look at his back pocket. He's got there's something in there.

He did have something shiny poking out of his back pocket. It might be a knife, but it also could be his phone. He carries his phone with him pretty much everywhere.

It's a weapon

"No, it's not." I whispered.

"Did you say something?" Luke scooted closer to me excitability, "I heard your voice."

I scooted away from Luke. I didn't mean to speak. I didn't want to speak in front of him. I shook my head.

"Sorry." Luke apologized, "I didn't mean to do that. You don't have to talk." So I didn't. And neither did he. We just sat in awkward silence for a while. My mind started to wander.

Rae

They're back.

You need to kill him

I looked over at Luke, who was fiddling his thumbs and zoning out at the ground. He didn't look dangerous. Besides, I didn't want to hurt him. I don't want to hurt anyone.

If you aren't going to hurt him, then you have to hurt yourself

I don't want to hurt myself either. I don't want to do anything they're telling me to do.

YOU HAVE TO!

I jumped, startled by the ferocity of the voice. They've never been scary before. This is the first time it's ever yelled at me.

YOU HAVE TO DO IT!

"I don't want to. Go away." I didn't want to talk in front of Luke, but sometimes if I talk it goes away.

"Uh, is that directed at me? And are you okay?" Luke's voice sounded a bit different than normal. Everything sounded slightly off. The classical music I had playing in the background was in a higher pitch.

I shook my head.

"No to the first question or the second?"

I held up two fingers, hoping that Luke would get the message.

"Do you want me to get Michael or something?"

Then the screams started. They pierced through my mind like a knife and echoed around and around. They were screams of men, women, children. Everyone. It was like people were dying inside of my mind.

"Whoa, Rae. What's happening? You're crying. You're crying really hard. ASHTON! MICHAEL! SOMETHING'S HAPPENING WITH RAE!" Luke ran out of the room, letting the door slam behind him. I could hear his voice, but just barely.

Screams. Horrible screams. The kind of screams in horror movies couldn't even compare to these. They were soaked in pain and suffering. I clamped my hands over my ears hoping to drown them out, but it was no use. They just got louder.

Ashton and Luke burst into the room. Ashton had half a sweatshirt on and his bandanna was loosely knotted around his neck.

"Hey, hey, hey. What's happening here? Tell me." Ashton's voice was quiet but commanding. I couldn't tell if it was on purpose or if my mind was just making it that way. They got even louder. I think I'm going to explode.

"Draw it for me." Ashton put a canvas, some colored pencils and a few jars of paint in front of me. "Paint what is going on in your mind."

I picked up a black colored pencil and drew shapeless figures all over the page. Some looked a like people, some didn't. An especially loud scream of pain gripped my skull. I dropped the pencil and clutched my head. Make it stop. Please make it stop.

"What are these?" Ashton's voice was still calm, "Are they people?"

I dipped my fingers in the already open jar of red paint. My fingers were trembling slightly as I wrote three words on the canvas.

scream

loud

pain

Ashton looked at the canvas and then back at me. He looked slightly confused.

Then they stopped. My mind became silent again. It returned to normal like nothing had ever happened.

"Rae," His voice had lost it's steady composure, "What is going on?"

All at once, my mind was plummeted into a screaming fiery hell that was much worse than the preceding one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well this is short but hey at least this update was somewhat quick

all american rejects are so good :P

Ok bai

-Ash