9:48

The smudged knob of my front door creaked as I hesitantly pulled it open and set a bare foot over the threshold. "Milo!" I called, surveying the neighboring yards as well as the end of the driveway for a boy dressed ridiculously in green spandex and a red cape.

His car stood parked alongside the pavement of the driveway, but it's driver was no where in sight. Puzzled, I stepped further outside, just in time to witness a large figure thump to the ground from a nearby tree. My eyes widened, the figured landed in a large heap on the ground. "Milo?" I spoke, withholding the tickling sensation of laughter when he replied with a long and low pitched groan.

"Um, what the hell was that?"  I questioned, abandoning my spot by the front door as I padded across the grass to greet the moaning heap of Milo.

He threw his cape over his head to reveal his emerald eyes squinted in annoyance, hidden behind a jet black mask. "I'm perfectly fine, thanks for your concern."

I flashed him a wide grin while offering a hand. "Sure thing."

Lips upturned into a smirk, Milo grasped my arm and pulled himself off the ground, our fingers became intertwined. "Surprise?" He squeaked, his shoulders shaking.

"You falling out of a tree? Big surprise." I giggled as he tugged on my hand in a whine.

Milo took a few steps back towards the house, eyes rolling behind his thick mask. "Whatever."

The porch creaked under our feet as I scanned my eyes across his costume, "You look.."

"Supremely sexy, I know."

My lips vibrated against each other as I released a noisy laugh, "Ridiculous."

Milo waved my remark away as he shut the door, "You secretly love this costume."

"I do." I agreed, sarcasm dripping from the tip of my tongue.

Milo paused suddenly, he spun around on his heel to face me in the middle of the hallway. "Speaking of...where's yours?"

"My what?"

The whites of his eyes contrasted drastically against his mask as they widened considerably, "Your costume!" He shouted, dropping my hand to flail his own arms around in exasperation.

"Oh," I mumbled, "that." Sucking in an agitated breath, I shuffled my way upstairs towards my room. "It's right here." Huffing a sigh, I pointed a single finger to the matching black garments scattered across the bedsheets.

Milo shoved a handful of the costume aside and plunked himself atop the bed, picking up a black and yellow top and letting it dangle off of his pointer finger. "Well?" He presented it closely by my nose, the material swinging back and forth. Scowling, I snatched the article of clothing out of his hand and stomped my way across the room towards the bathroom. Milo called my name just as I was about to slam the door and change, a fistful of garments met my chest when tossed forcefully across the hall.

As I tugged each individual piece of material on, I tried to avoid my reflection as I patted out a few wrinkles in the elastic before revealing myself to Mr. Milo. I was met with an unhinged jaw and a string of saliva trailing out from the corner of his mouth. "I hate this costume." I frowned.

"It's...tight." He breathed, licking his lips as his eyes began to trail away from my own.

I crossed my arms, "Hey, up here."

Milo's head snapped up quickly as he began to blink rapidly, "Right. Sorry." He cleared his throat, "I really like your costume." Grinning impishly, Milo patted the space beside him. I sat begrudgingly and picked at the stretchy fabric of my tights.

I snorted, "Shut up."

Footsteps sounded up the stairs as I wrapped my arms around myself, cracking a small smile in the direction of the door. "Hey Dad."

"Who's this?" He grinned politely in Milo's direction as he leaned against the doorframe. Milo stood to introduce himself, holding a hand out to my Dad. "Boyfriend?" He questioned in response, quirking a bushy eyebrow as he took Milo's hand.

I shook my head silently, motioning to Milo's back. "That's Milo."

"Ah, Batboy." He nodded in approval, clapping a hand to Milo's shoulder. "So you're the one that convinced Mare to go trick or treating."

"You bet, Mr. Donovan." Milo exclaimed, throwing out his cape stamped with a gigantic R.

My dad chuckled in amusement before his eyes flashed to his silver wristwatch, his charcoal black mustache twitched as he emitted a sigh. "Well, you two have fun. I'll see you in a few days, Mare."

I bobbed my head from my spot on the comforter, holding myself tighter,"Make sure to call-"

He laughed softly as he finished my sentence, "As soon as I pull into the garage." Stepping inside my room, my dad wrapped his arms around me as I nuzzled my face into his chest, taking a big breath in order to keep the smell of his soapy cologne fresh in my memory.

"Bye Dad." I spread my fingers in a limp wave as he dipped his head and bounded down the stairs. Heat flushed into my cheeks as I soon realized Milo had been watching. His eyes gleamed curiously as I gathered two throw pillows into my arms, tossing one directly to his stomach and pressing the other to my blushing face as I fell back onto the covers of my bed.

The bed dipped and creaked under his weight as Milo bounced beside me, lightly smacking the pillow I had thrown against my hip. I made a small sound of protest as he attempted to pry the other pillow off of my face. "Mare!" He whined, slipping the material from my grip as he took both of my hands and pulled me into his arms.

"What the hell are you doing Mr. Milo?" I mumbled, he now dragged me across the room to where my black knee high boots lay.

Milo snorted as if I was completely oblivious, which at this point, I was. "Taking you trick or treating, duh."

Muddled, I watched as he bent down to retrieve my shoes and proceeded to pull them on my feet and lace them up for me. "Milo.."

"Now don't pout Mare, I promise we'll have fun." Milo beamed as he adjusted his mask before taking my gloved hand in his and tugging me down the steps to the front door. I made sure to grab my keys and phone before exiting the house and following Milo as he strolled to his car. "I believe we're forgetting two necessary trick or treating elements." He frowned before ducking into the backseat.

"And what would those be, Robin?" I rolled my eyes, silently praying the neighbors would surpass this strange colloquy. My dark locks whipped across my face as I crossed my arms, spotting movement across the street, "Milo?"

A loud bump sounded as his head smacked against the top of the car, "Damnit, hold on.."

I chuckled quietly as his idiocy, scoffing when he finally pulled out two plastic buckets. "You're kidding.."

"Not in the slightest, babe." Milo smirked, thrusting a plastic orange pumpkin into my arms.

"Lets go, Batgirl."

+