15

Bentley

"You need something while I go downstairs?" I glanced over my shoulder at Kendall who was sprawled out all over my bed like it was his.

"I actually don't want nothing from down there. Can you run to Taco Bell for me?"

"Nigga for what? Taco Bell is like a thirty minute drive."

"I want them cinnaball shits man. I want twelve. I also want the steak quesolupa combo." He reached in his pockets and I waved him off.

"That's all?"

"Yeah bro, thank you."

I smiled but I'm sure it wasn't bright enough to hide the worry in my eye. I was worried for Kendall. So worried that I convinced him to come stay with me for a few days because I "felt like we were distant." When in reality I couldn't stand the thought of being away from him too long and God forbid he lose this battle, I want to be around for every step.

I turned on my heels and exited the room. Pulling my phone out of my pockets as I jogged down the steps I texted Aliye to see if she wanted to ride with me to Taco Bell. She responded immediately saying 'sure' so I grabbed my keys and was on my way out the door.

When I stepped outside it was quite gloomy. A humid and uncomfortable weather. Dark grey skies. Not much sign of life anywhere. Much like my life.

I shook off the thoughts and got in my car heading to Aliye's place. As she walked to the car I noticed her mood almost matched mine which wasn't usual.

 As she walked to the car I noticed her mood almost matched mine which wasn't usual

"What's wrong?" I glanced over at her while I drove out of her apartment complex. As much as I'd like to sit and give her my full undivided attention, I had to get back to Kendall. I wasn't trying to be out long. So I would have to multi task and listen to her while moving.

"I'm alright." She said barely above a whisper, giving away her lie.

"Now what's really up?"

She sighed looking out the window, "I hadn't heard from my dad in some time. I called the prison today and apparently he's been sent to SHU."

"For what?"

"The lady couldn't tell me too much but she said she likes my dad so she told me what she could. Basically someone made a comment about his parenthood. Saying he wasn't shit and that by the time he gets out of prison Dahlia and I will be calling someone else daddy. So he got in a fight. Beat the person up pretty bad."

"They ain't gon give him more time for that are they?"

"No just a whole lot of time in SHU so I won't hear from him for a while."

"This isn't permanent baby, you'll hear from him again."

"I know." She shrugged. "It's just, I just got to him and now I feel like he's being taken away again and I know he's not its just a feeling."