Love Brewing

Author's note: some people are reading this or just briefly looking. Please comment and vote. Thanks!

~~~~~~~

Milt and Sally's wedding was in two weeks, right after college finals. Harvey would be going to Milt's bachelor party that involved a night at the symphony and then to the pool hall for darts. The bachelorette party was the same day so Harvey went a day early through Snoqualmie Pass, a winding pass, connecting the two cities, and 500 miles to his lovely girl. Laura had a little window open for her guy; goodness, she was in love. They grabbed Chinese and dined at the park and enjoyed this short occasion together.

"I just love these sweet and sour chicken," she commented, poking her chop sticks into the white carton.

"I don't think I got those," he said.

"Here, try," she said shoving a bite in his mouth.

"Mmm, tasty!"

Harvey debated within himself for the past week or so that he was going to tell Laura he really was falling in love with. Too late, soon she checked her watch, gobbled down several quick bites and announced she had to go.

Harvey was relieved with Milt and Sally's wedding just a couple days away. He had bought a tuxedo and gently placed on the backseat of his car. He called her apartment to let her of his departure, but had to leave a message, as she probably was help Sally with last wedding details.

Finally the wedding day came and Harvey stood with the groom who glared into the mirror. Milt needed some time alone so Harvey strolled around the church. He met Laura in the lobby.

"You look stunning," Harvey said.

"Thanks, not so bad yourself," Laura said, sliding the camera off her wrist. "Here, let me get your picture." For a second she visualized him a husband. She giggled.

"Does that mean you change your mind about how I look?"

"No, just thought of something funny," she said.

"Good, thought I missed some toothpaste."

"I'd better see if Sally needs anything," she said turning.

"First let me take one last look at my sweetie," he said grasping her hand.

Laura, even with all the work, relished every moment being her sister's maid of honor. They surely bonded especially when going to the spa and later at bachelorette's day—the dinner theatre was wonderful.

Milt and Sally's wedding was fabulous and then it shifted to their reception. Following the groom and bride's first and other traditional festivities, Harvey and Laura had their first dance. They were lost in each other's arms that these words came natural.

"I've been wanting to say this," began Harvey, "I love you Laura."

"Aww, I love you too," said Laura. And they kissed. Several months later, they became Mr. and Mrs. Hoch. Laura moved to Spokane. Both studied and received their bachelor's in music education. Harvey began teaching private violin. Laura taught piano for awhile until a professor position opened up.

That was three years ago.

An hour or so the Hoch's pulled into their driveway. It was a fairly new Craftman's two-story bungalow on Spokane's South Hill off of West 18th Avenue. Laura, her growing stomach being cumbersome, managed several steps awkwardly to the front door as Harvey supported her back.

While Harvey put the leftover Chinese in the fridge, Laura rushed to the bathroom. They lounged in the great room already discussing dinner. A white baby grand piano, besides the sofa in which they sat, was just about the only furniture. Both Laura and Harvey were teacher musicians. She was a music professor at a local university, teaching music theory and also gave piano lessons on the side. Downstairs in the finished basement he taught violin. Laura was on maternity leave.

Little Jacob, healthy, soon joined the spinning world not long after. Laura was relieved from the pains of labor, but it was one of her most life cherished moments as she held her son for the first time. Harvey, who had been such a wonderful coach, was gleaming happily next to her.

The next day, they introduced their son to his new humble surroundings. God blessed them with a quiet infant. Quiet or not, they were blessed. Laura went back to teaching at the college a month later, while Harvey graciously took care of Jacob. He had Jacob from the morning after his wife left for work until noon when their nanny assumed the baby. It was at this time that a couple his violin students arrived. They were homeschooled children; a few more in the late afternoon and evening. Lessons went 15 minutes to an hour, depending on the kid. As a toddler, with Dad's violin instructions, Jacob and the nanny would be downstairs reading books and playing, barely making much noise. The Hoch's decided to homeschool Jacob, at least for the first few years. They started him with flashcards at six months and it wasn't long before he was talking in complete sentences. It was a juggling performance for both parents with work, church, and Jacob. Oh so well, it was worth the effort.

When Jacob turned three and a half, the nanny's services were no longer needed. Harvey cut back from a dozen students to five. This gave him a chance to focus on homeschooling, which he thoroughly enjoyed. In the late afternoon, when Laura came home, they read from the Bible until dinner, followed by music and singing; mom and son at the piano and dad fiddling away beside her. Laura led the singing happily. Bible child songs, hymns, and worship music echoed off the great room's walls.

Little did they know a violin prodigy was brewing within Jacob's tiny veins, but this discovery wouldn't be apparent for some time; the boy was barely a week from his fourth birthday. Call it good pedigree or a God given talent.

Let's delve into this boy's world. Music surrounded the crib. Bach cantatas, Rachmaninov preludes, Viotti violin concertos eased the babe. He was delighted to hear similar tunes from his mom, pushing down on a big white box—but it was the small brown box his dad used, which became more fascinating, more sweeter than the latter. The babe pointed to the box his dad played. He wanted it, yet they didn't understand.