XI

[Last part was deleted intentionally. It will be in the story later on}

_______________________

XI

three months...

After reassuring dad, I finally make it into the cinema, though its ten minutes later than I'm supposed to be there. Immediately, I feel a little lost, beyond out of my depth. The space is secluded from the rest of the mall, accessible from an outside glass sliding door on the second floor. Yet, now standing here, having avoided the crowd makes no difference.

It hasn't changed in past year. Even the ugly, spotted carpet is the exact same as what it was the last time I was here. The line-up for the tickets remains towards the back wall, the stretched as far out to the opposite side. There's couches scattered haphazardly through the space, all deep brown leather, some around the edges. To the right, sits the opening up to rest of the mall. Directly opposite the sliding doors is the hallway leading to the cinema rooms.

James isn't hard to find, despite the teeming crowed on a Thursday night. He's sitting on one of the couches that sit by the wall, legs propped against the floor in front of him, sunglasses resting in his hair. Phone held in front of him, he's staring at it—along with something else in his hand.

Skirting around the crowd, I rush over to where he's sitting. He doesn't notice me, but I don't expect him to. Before getting in the car, I didn't spend hours on an outfit—I just grabbed what I usually wear. So, I feel a little underdressed in just striped leggings and a singlet, a pair of Converse on my feet.

After all, if the worst case scenario is true, then this is a date—and I haven't made much of an effort.

The one thing I did was let mum fiddle with the blonde wig for a while, simply because with the hair—fake or not—I won't draw the unwanted attention I will without any. It still doesn't look natural, having been without hair for so long, but no one stares at me as I walk—so I must look normal.

James is thankfully close by, so it doesn't take long to reach him. As I get closer, I'm able to see what he's holding in his hand: something that resembles a single ear phone. He hasn't dressed up either, wearing jeans and a t-shirt like normal.

Not wanting to disturb him, I stop by his line of sight. It takes him a second, but he looks up. He looks cautious, before his eyes meet mine and he grins.

I grin back. Then I take a seat next to him, crossing my legs underneath me. Staring at the huge line, I can only be grateful James had the forethought to book the tickets online first. Otherwise we'd be waiting hours to get in—and by then it'd be over.

Setting by bag at my side, I grab out my purple, jewelled wallet. The zip catches momentarily, but I'm able to open it after that. Moving to the middle section, I find the cash stored securely. Unsure of the cost of everything, I more than likely over estimated how much I'd need to give to James.

As I grab out a twenty and hand it to James, I watch him stare at it. When he looks up, he's frowning.

Since I have nothing to write on, I pull out my phone, opening notes.

My half. For food and tickets. If it's more, tell me.

He just watches me, before trying to give the money back. I don't let him. So it turns into a stare off—before he gives in and shoves the money into his pocket, eyebrow raised pointedly. He doesn't ask for more, and I let it go.