XIV

XIV

two months, nine days...

The fever hits at one in the morning.

At first, I don't know what's happening; I'm not even aware anything is wrong. I just assume that I'm overheating under the blankets—but when tossing them off me does nothing but make it worse I know something is wrong.

Terror grips me like a vice, as I sit up. Reaching blindly for the glass of water that's always on my bedside table, I drink all of it, uncaring when I nearly choke.

Something is wrong. Something is very, very wrong—I can feel it.

"Dad!"

Everything is aching, hurting like I'm burning alive from the inside.

"Dad!"

I'll wake Rick, I know. I have no other choice. Mum is on an overnight shift. Only dad and Rick are home.

"Dad!"

Rushed footsteps come from across the hall before my door slams open and the light turns on. Dad stands in the doorway, hair mussed and sleep pants nearly falling off his waist, like he's thrown them on in haste. He looks frantic—wide eyed and terrified. "Alyson?"

"Something is wrong," I say. "It hurts."

I'm dying.

He rushes over to the bed. In a second he's everywhere: kneeling by the bed; his hand on my forehead, my stomach. "You're pale. White as a ghost. And you're hot—"

"Dad?" A bleary eye Rick walks into my room, rubbing his eyes. "What's happening?"

"Nothing, son," Dad says, still right by my side. "We're just going to the hospital for your sister."

"But it's midnight..."

Except I'm not paying attention to Rick and neither is dad. "I'm not taking chances," Dad whispers. "I'm going to get dressed. Then we'll go." His hand soothes over my forehead. "Can you walk?"

"I think so," I murmur.

Dad nods before rushing out the door. Rick stands by my side, frowning worriedly. "Alyson?" He sounds so small. "Alyson, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," I lie.

He doesn't seem convinced.

Luckily, dad comes into the room again. He gives Rick the car keys, telling him to get in the back. Then, before I can say anything, he picks me and takes me down the stairs.

I don't have time to change out of my shorts and singlet.

We're outside in a blur of time. Within minutes the car is running and dad is speeding to the hospital.

*

In the afternoon of that day, the results come through from the rushed blood test. I'm lying on a hospital bed, hooked to various IV drips when Doctor Sherwood comes in, righting his glasses.

Dad stands immediately, turning to Rick and handing him a few coins. "Go to the cafeteria and get some food, okay? I'll come get you when this is done. Your mother should be here by then too."