Day One

"Kiddo! Come on! You're going to be late!" Dad called from downstairs.
"Coming!"

I looked at myself in the mirror one last time; straightening my shirt, adjusting my bowtie, and picking at my cotton candy pink locks.
I took a deep breath and nodded at my reflection before grabbing my book bag and
dashing out of my room.

"Come on!" Dad called as he hopped into the car. He stabbed the key into the ignition and pushed a thermos into my hands.
"Thanks." I mumbled, taking a sip of the warm coffee.
He simply nodded and pulled out of the driveway, taking off down the street.

We sat in silence and as we got closer to our destination, my nerves began to kick in.
Through my peripheral vision I could see Dad sneak a glance at me.
"Hey kiddo. Don'tcha worry." He stated soothingly, patting my knee.
"Kids at this school are a lot more excepting then at the other."
"And if they're not?"
He pursed his lips.
"Picked up your father's pessimism I see."
"You are my father." I mumbled, trying to hide my smile.
"Oh ha ha." He snarked before giggling softly at our inside joke.

We pulled up to the large building and I huffed out a sharp breath.
"You got your phone?" I heard Dad ask behind me.
"Yeah." I mumbled as I pat my pocket.
"Wallet?"
"Yeah." Another pat to the opposite pocket.
"You sure you don't want me to go in with you?" Dad asked, chewing on his bottom lip.
"No. I'll be fine." I said, turning and smiling to try to ease both our nerves.
He sighed and smiled back, leaning over the center divider to press a kiss to my forehead.
"Alright kiddo."

I unbuckled my seat belt and opened the door.
"Don't forget to text me or Pops when you get out."
"Alright Dad. Bye."
"Bye kiddo. Love you!"
"Love you too, Dad." I smile before stepping out and shutting the door, turning towards the building.
The plaque next to the main entrance read: "Wilward Fischlin High School"

'Weird name.' I thought as
I steeled myself before walking towards it, dodging other students as I went. I could feel the teens' eyes on me as I went but I forced myself to keep my eyes forwards.

'Get to the office. Get to the office. Get to the off-'

"WATCH OUT!"

I yelped as someone jumped in front of me, snagging a speeding frisbee out of the air before it could hit me. I stared wide eyed as I watched the girl around my height ,if not an inch or two taller, toss the disk back to it's thrower and shake her hand in pain.

"Sorry!" She smiled apologetically, flashing a perfect smile and a pair of dimples. Her dark hair was pulled back in a high ponytail and she donned a black tank top and shorts.

"I-its alright." I mumbled shyly.
The girl raised a brow and tilted her head.
"You new here?"
"Is it that obvious?" I asked wryly.
'No wonder everyone was staring.'
She giggled softly and shook her head.
"Naw. I just know almost everyone." She confessed.
"And I think I would have noticed you around before with hair like that."
I smiled and brushed some flossy pink out of my field of vision.

"Karma." The girl smiled, holding out her hand and using the other to push up her glasses.
I raised a brow at her.
"Karma?"
"That's my name."
"Oh! I'm an idiot." I felt myself flush. I took her hand and shook it.
"Haven."

She released my hand and looked over her shoulder, waving at someone before turning back to me.
"Need help getting somewhere?"
"Uh. Yes actually." I pulled out the letter the school sent and read over it quickly.
"Do you know where the office is?"
"Which one?"
I paled.
"T-there's more then one?"

After awhile of searching, we finally found the correct office. I got my class list, locker number, and P.E uniform.
It turns out Karma and I have near identical schedules and she promised to show me around. I dumped some things in my locker and together we walked off to our first class.

"Karma!"
We both turned to see a dark skinned girl jogging to keep up.
"Babe!" Karma grinned. The new girl grinned and ran into the tan girl's arms. They pulled back from the hug and shared a short kiss. I couldn't help but smile a little.
"I hope this doesn't bother you." Karma asked.
The suspicious tone in her voice made me chuckle.
"No. I see it all the time at home."
Both girls seemed surprised.
"Two moms?"
"Dads actually."
Karma hummed in understanding while the other girl smiled.

She wore a bright blue crop top and white shorts, her hair dark and curly.
"Haven meet my girlfriend Eden. Eden meet my new friend Haven."
We shook hands and continued on our way, Eden having her first period a door down from ours.
"I'll see you second, babe!" Eden called as she walked off to her own room.

Karma nodded and waved, opening the classroom door for me.
I mumbled a thanks and stepped in right as the bell rang.
Everyone turned to me and I fought back to urge to nibble on my fingers, a nervous habit.
"Ah, Karma! I assume you brought my new student?" The teacher asked.
She looked around her early 30's, had short ginger hair, and cobalt blue eyes hidden behind a set of silver rimmed glasses.
"Indeed I did Miss Pamsey." The tan girl smiled, nudging me forewords.
"It's alright." She cooed softly in my ear when I stiffened up, effectively calming me.
The woman looked over her role book till she found my name.
"Alright mis-"
"Just Haven is fine." I blurted before she could finish.
"Alright....Haven."
She said understandingly.
"Take an empty seat so we may begin."
We nodded and Karma led me to the empty seat next to her.
"Lucky for you, we were just starting a new unit today so you don't have to catch up on much." Karma whispered to me as Miss Pamsey began to write on the board.
I sighed in relief and pulled out a notebook, copying what everyone else did.

Notes. A lecture. Nothing too rigorous. The bell rang once again and everyone filed out.
"Come on, Hav."
I smiled at the nickname and followed Karma out. We met with Eden again and went on our way.
I fished out my phone as it buzzed in my pocket.
'How's it goin? -Dad'
I smiled and replied, paying too much attention to my phone then where I was going and slamming into something...or...someONE.
I fell back on my rear and stared up to the person I hit. Their back was covered in a letterman jacket and they slowly turned around, glaring down at me. I swallowed thickly and regretted replying a 'terrific!' to my dad.
Everyone around us froze and stared.

'Crap.'