Don't Cry

My heart pounded loudly in my chest as Eri stared at the linebacker. Sebastian turned back towards me and stalked closer, seeming to forget about the boy he'd just injured.

I peered over his shoulder to see Eri slowly lift his hands again to gaze at his blood stained palms; then up at me.

I shivered as we locked eyes. It seemed to take mere milliseconds for him to switch from shocked and confused to something completely opposite. Something dangerous.

"Sebastian!"

Everyone seemed to freeze at the snarl, even the name's owner. Sebastian sighed and smirked, turning back towards Eri. 
"What? You want some mo-"

There was a blur of movement and a loud crack before the football player yelped and crumpled to the ground, clutching his face.

I looked up from the fallen teen to Eri who stood where Sebastian once was, chest heaving and teeth clenched. His fist coated in blood both his and Sebastian's, his knuckles split.

Never would I believe that Eri would be capable of looking so dangerous. Covered in blood and sneering down at someone. Once kind eyes filled with utter hatred.

"Eri." I whispered.
His attention snapped up to me and I flinched. Again, it took seconds for his emotions to flip.
"Haven!" He called worriedly, rushing forwards. After wiping his blood on his pants he reached up and cupped my face in his hands, looking me over.
I hissed as he stroked a thumb over my ,no doubt red, cheek.
"Are you alright? Did he hurt you anywhere else?"
All I could do was stare at him.

Lips torn so badly that it will undoubtedly scar, a linebacker nearly a foot and a half taller than me curled up on the floor because he put him there, and a crowd of students watching us in shock and all he can ask if I was alright.

"What's going on here!?"
We looked up to see Mr. Raywood push through the crowd and go wide eyed at the sight of us.
"Get the nurse and principal." He told one of students. "And the rest of you go where you need to go!"

With that the crowd dispersed, leaving just us four.

Raywood strode forewords and  kneeled next to Sebastian, helping the boy sit up and lean against the wall. After, he stood once again and turned to us, looking us over. He tried and failed to hide his wince when his eyes landed on Eri's mouth.
"Sit down and don't move." He instructed.

We complied and sat until the nurse came in. Everything was a bit of a blur after that. I just remember seeing two ambulances and a cop car roll up; Eri reluctantly leaving my side to be lead away towards one.

Dad was called out of work and was currently talking to the principal while I waited outside, the sting in my cheek wearing away.

"Where's Eri?"  I mumbled to Mr. Raywood as he walked out of the room.
"They took him to the hospital. His lip was out of the nurse's ability to fix." He muttered back before sitting next to me.
"And...Sebastian?"

"They took him too. Eri broke his nose."

I scoffed.
"You two are best friends aren't you?" He asked.
"That's one way to put it."
"Do you not consider him a friend?"
"I do. I really do. But..."
"But?"

I licked my lips and looked down at my hands, remembering Eri's bloody ones.
"We hardly know anything about each other and now he's probably gotten himself expelled for trying to protect me."

Blue eyes widened, Raywood sitting back in the uncomfortable black plastic chair.
"You've never talked about home life with him?"
"No. Never really found a reason or time too."

The man hummed.
"Then I just guess he just really cares about you." He grunted as he pushed himself to a stand, causing me to purse my lips.
"I guess so." I mumbled.

The principal's door swung open and Dad stepped out, a half sad half relived look on his face. Behind him out stepped a short woman in a police uniform and stony expression that looked eerily familiar.

"Come on kiddo." Dad said stiffly, throwing his head towards the door to the parking lot. I waved to Mr. Raywood and followed Dad out, gasping as I was yanked into something warm and solid as soon as we stepped through the door.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Dad cried into my hair, crushing me against his chest.
"I thought this school would be different. I thought things would get better. I...I-" He hiccuped, stopping to let out a choked noise. I reached my arms around his waist and
ssh-ed him, rubbing his back.

Pops and I hated when Dad cried. His sensitivity plus his anxiety led to scared sobbing in the middle of the night and glossy eyes when he did something wrong, messed up, or got yelled at. Most of the time me and Pops were there to hug and whisper sweet things to him and if we weren't, he'd call. No matter what, Pops would answer.
Once he even asked his hacking patient to wait a second while he picked up the phone to talk to a hysterical Dad.

After a minute, he calmed to soft sniffles. I reached up and wiped some tears from his face.
"Let's go home." I whispered.
He nodded and grabbed my hand, leading me towards the car.

The drive was silent and suffocating. As soon as I could I hopped out of the car and walked towards the front door.
"Haven!" Pops shouted, as we stepped through. He had been sitting hunched over with his elbows on his knees but leapt off the couch as soon as he saw us.

He rushed forwards and took me into his arms. When he pulled back from hugging me, I looked up to see his green eyes twinkling with tears. Pops never cries.

"Stop crying!" I snapped. I don't know why but just the sight of the tears filled me with anger and the desire to cry as well.
"I hate when you guys cry! There's no reason for you two to cry! I'm fine! Everything's fine!" I shouted, my dads flinching at the end of every sentence.
"I-I..."
When had I started to cry? I could now feel the tears streaming down my face and taste the salt on my lips. Anything else I tried to say came out as incoherent mumbles, my unexpected tears overwhelming me.

Pops and Dad stepped forewords and pulled me into a group hug, all three of us crying. The memory of the last time we did this made me cry harder.

We stood like that for almost five minutes before we pulled away, Pops' arm still around Dad's waist.
"Can I go to my room?" I mumbled, rubbing my eyes.
They nodded and I walked off towards the stairs.

Before walking up, I turned to see them standing in each others arms. Their foreheads were pressed together and Pops was whispering things to Dad as he sniffled. They exchanged a few words before Pops pecked Dad's lips and they both smiled.

I smiled at them and turned to continue my trek upstairs.