Chapter 24: Show You Off

A/N: This chapter prove to be a lot harder than I anticipated... I didn't really like it until it was finished and I read it back. But, there are some definite good parts in this one and it got pretty long so there are some positives :) Also, huge shout-out to 12thPrecinctWriter for giving me some ideas to get me out of my little slump!

Enjoy!!!

"When a guy like me, gets a girl like you. Yeah, you better know we're going to take it downtown, showin' everybody what I'm crazy about. Anywhere we go, gotta let 'em all know. And I'mma tattoo your name on my arm. Baby I just wanna show you off." ~Dan + Shay

_________________________________________________________________

"Daddy! Kate!" Alexis came barreling into their bedroom, yelling and effectively waking the both of them.

Kate yawned as she stretched out, sitting up and moving out of Rick's arms. It's been two weeks since their fight and, looking back now, she couldn't believe how foolish she had been. This was where she wanted to be, where she belonged.

She laughed as the 7-year-old swung her foot over the edge of the bed and crawled in between them. "Daddy," she shook his shoulder. He was reluctant to open his eyes, even for his persistent daughter. "It's the Bridgehampton Fair this weekend!"

Rick peeked open one eye. Both girls laughed at the thrilled look on his face. But, Kate's brow furrowed, "What's the Bridgehampton Fair?"

They both gasped in mock horror. "Only the most amazing place in all of New York!" Rick started.

"And it only happens once a year," Alexis chimed in.

They were going back and forth now, each adding new things about the fair. "There's all kinds of games."

"And food."

"And rides."

"You have to ride the ferris wheel!"

"And try their deep fried oreos," Rick said, craving them as he spoke.

Kate didn't know what to think about that. Her face contorted, "Um, that sounds... interesting."

Alexis agreed with her father, "They're the BEST, Kate. You have to try it!"

"I guess I do," Kate said, still unsure and hesitant. She would do it for them, though. She would do anything for them, so eating a strange food wasn't so bad, she thought. Inwardly smiling at their over the top excitement, she decided to get the show on the road. "So, are we going or what?"

Alexis flew off the bed and sprinted out of the door. "Be ready in ten!" she yelled as she made it out of their door.

Kate laughed as she headed into the closet to find something to wear for the day when Rick caught her arm. He spun her around and into his arms. She was wrapped into his strong arms and he squeezed her shoulders, "Thank you."

Kate gave him a questioning look, her head tilted up at him, "For what?"

"For always putting my daughter first," he said smiling at her. "I know you were looking forward to our plans today, and you put them aside to make her happy. So, thank you."

"Of course, babe. Plans can be rescheduled and, like she said, the fair only comes around once a year! It'll be a blast, anyways. I think I'm even more excited for sketchy rides and greasy food just because you'll both be be there."

"You're amazing," he said to her. Kate's cheeks turned a dark shade of pink and she went up on her tiptoes to give him a peck on the lips.

"I love you," he whispered.