Chapter Nine

The first thing I want to do is kill Peeta. Take my knife and plunge it through his heart. But, using all my force, and I am able not to. Peeta unclasps my mouth and stares at me with a sly grin. I scowl.

"You scared me." I say. "That was uncalled for." Peeta laughs and takes off his pack.

"It was just a joke. A little fun." He says. I shake my head. "Well it wasn't funny. I thought you were Cato or something. I didn't think I was going to be able to protect myself this time and-"

"This time? You mean he's had contact with you before?" His voice gets deeper, and it sounds as if he's demanding an answer. I meagerly nod my head.

"It was quick," I whisper. "like, it doesn't even count as a contact. He found me in the tree and tried coming after me, but I was too high, and he in no way knew how to climb, so I was safe." Peeta doesn't look convinced. He rolls his hand into a fist and swing at the air. I back away and watch him with a horrified look. I've never seen him in this state. He's always seemed so calm, cool, determined. He knew what his next move was and was always a step ahead of everyone. But, now?

"Peeta please don't get upset." I beg. He stares at me.

"Oh yeah? Why shouldn't I? I promised to protect you from everything in here and you're already having battles with people twice your size? Well no more. It stops here." He states. He slings the bag over his shoulder and begins walking.

"We need to move quickly. We need food." I show him Maximo and Marilyn.

"I have some." I say, although from the position I'm holding them in, it looks as if I was cradling them, and nursing them back to health. He continues walking.

"Well we need more."

I trudge along behind him and don't say a word. What's making him act like this? So, Cato and I had an argument. Big deal! It wasn't like we fought or anything, he couldn't get a foot off the ground! I understand that Peeta is upset, but does he really have to treat me like I'm someone who broke his prized possession? I help Peeta navigate our way through the forest and we end up back in the Cornucopia.

"We should have found water, not the Cornucopia." He says. I bend down to brush some dirt off my boot. "There is water, we passed it about two miles ago." I say. As soon as I say it, I know I shouldn't have. Peeta's face almost is red and he's angry.

"Why didn't you say anything before?" He snaps. I feel the knot in my throat form. "I didn't know we were looking for water. You said food-"

"Don't you think water would've been important too? Wherever there's water, you sure to find animals. Are you even thinking?" He spits at me. I feel a couple of tear drops forming in my eyes. Peeta doesn't even blink.

"You know what? You can just go. Go team up with someone else. For all I care you can-"

I don't even let him finish before I fled the area. I pound my feet on the ground, snapping fallen twigs and crunching leaves. The tears I held back start slipping out my eyes and fiercely wipe them away. I don't wan those at home thinking I'm a crybaby.

Well fine, if Peeta doesn't want me, then he doesn't need me. I can win this by myself. I walk faster when I hear Peeta desperately call my name. I turn my head to him and shout:

"Keep yelling my name! I'm not forgiving you!" I lean against a tree and realize I forgot to grab my bag. Great.

"I don't need a bag." I say to myself. "I'm fine with just this knife." The forest goes silent for an instant, and then I hear the mockingjay warning call. I search around the area, but don't see a single hovercraft in the sky. And then, about forty yards away, I make out a pack of creatures running towards me.

The Hunger GamesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara