Chapter Thirteen

I shut my eyes again. This is how everything is going to end. I'm sorry Rue. I'm sorry District 12. I'm sorry everyone who was rooting for me. I can't go on any further.

"Move! C'mon!"

I snap my eyes open and realize I'm not dead. Instead, Kelin is screaming at me to get up and continue running. Well, kind of rude to be telling someone to run when their rib is broken, huh? But I get up anyway.

Kelin suddenly scoops me off of the ground and thrusts me over his back. I am facing the tigers, and as he runs, they grow more distant. He's a really fast runner. Faster than I was. I guess he does more than cut wood all day in his district. The tigers piercing screech almost makes Kelin stop. He lets out a sound that's between pain and annoyance. I suddenly scan my surroundings. Peeta? Where's Peeta? I'm afraid that the tigers might have gotten him.

"Peeta!?" I call out. The tiger's growl is the only answer I get. "Peeta!" I squeeze my eyes shut and open them over and over, hoping this is all a dream. I'm going to wake up and Peeta will be sleeping next to me still, and I'll be watching him making sure nothing happens. But every time I open them, the tigers are still chasing us, and Peeta is still nowhere to be found. Kelin starts to slow down. He's running out of breath.

"Keep running!" I scream. "Keep going!" He continues to run, but with every step he takes he slows down rapidly.

"I..can't." He says. He suddenly sets me down and tells me to move forward. But I can't. I can't leave him here after he tried to save me. I couldn't live with myself. I wouldn't.

I grab his knife and sling it at one of the tigers. It catches it right in the neck and it drops to the ground. The other tigers move over to console it, but quickly move on. I won't be able to hold them off much longer. I make a quick decision. I push Kelin behind and brace myself for the animals to attack. I stand still for what feels like forever. Why haven't they attacked? I open my eyes and see Peeta standing in front of me shooting away at the animals.

"Peeta!" I scream. "Move! Stop it!" He doesn't listen. All of a sudden, one of the still stable tigers pounce on Peeta. I witness it try to rip him apart. I grab the arrow and stab it right in the eye. It falls silently to the ground. I run over to Peeta, who's crying out in pain. His chest is covered in blood, and he has cut all over his face. I shake him, trying to get him to pay attention to me.

"Peeta? Are you OK? Peeta? Talk!" I shout. His eyes droop and he barely looks at me. "Prim.." He whispers. I tell him I'm here, I'm listening, I'm there for him. But all he does is moan and clutch his chest. His eyes shut and he blacks out. My tears mix in with his blood. Kelin rests an arm on my shoulder.

"C'mon, Prim. We must keep moving." He says. I furiously push his hand off my shoulder. "No! We can't leave Peeta here! He's still alive!" I say. Kelin shakes his head.

"Not for long." I stare at Peeta, who rests motionless on the ground. "No," I say again. "no, I'm not leaving. I can cure him. I can." I protest. He shakes his head again. "Prim you can't-"

"I can! I help cure people all the time at home! I can! Please, don't leave him!" I plead. Tears have took over me and are pouring out. I hadn't realized what a crybaby I was. I'm surprised I have any tears left. Considering how much I have cried since I was reaped for the games. Kelin finally nods his head and allows me to take Peeta along with us. He grabs Peeta and throws him over his shoulder as if he was a sack of flour.

"Be careful," I say. He gives me a look and continues walking.

"We'll rest here." Kelin says after a couple of hours. We're near the Cornucopia. In a small field covered by mostly trees and bushes. I look around and see the remaining smoke from a fire.