Chapter Four | Ghosts of Our Past

Exciting chapter :)

________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛

Bleeding Out by Imagine Dragons

When the day has come
But I've lost my way around
And the seasons stop
And hide beneath the ground
When the sky turns grey
And everything is screaming
I will reach inside
Just to find my heart is beating.

________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛ ________ ♛♛♛

CHAPTER FOUR | GHOSTS OF OUR PAST 

      I wipe the blood from my poisoned lips, brushing my hair back with my fingers as I fall into the maelstrom of people that seemed permanently infused into the streets of New Orleans ― largely due to its frequent festivals. The carnival that appeared to be celebrated today was All Hallows Eve, with painted masks that hung from stringent cords nailed onto wooden posts of stalls wrapped with coloured swathes of clothes. Candidly, it deemed extrinsic in the hot daylight, with the sun burning into browning backs. Something as dark as the Hallows was an alien surrounded by jubilant children clutching their parent's hands. It did not belong here. It belonged to the obscure cloak of nighttime.

       Like me, ironically enough

       I swallow a aggravated noise that threatened to purge from my mouth as a salesman bumps into me, settling for a glare, when my phone begins to ring. I look down and rifle through my bag until I find the rectangular apparatus, silencing it with a single swipe as I simultaneously lift to my ear. "Hello?"

       "Hi, Melissa."

      I breathe a sigh of relief, unable to stop a smile from spreading across my face. "I've been calling you for ages! Dav, where have you been? I'm actually on my way to the lycée to meet you ―"

      "No! I'm―I'm not there." The brunette girl exclaims, much to my surprise. I stop at the side of the street, frowning slightly. "Oh. Where are you then?"

        "I―I can't tell you exactly." She stutters. A static crackles over the line, as if she had pressed her hand over the speakers momentarily. "Dav." I speak evenly, "are you okay? Is everything good or do I need to worry?" Davina sighs abruptly, making a clicking sound with her tongue, although something causes me to believe that it was not entirely directed at me. "I'm fine, I'm just practising my magic in a better environment; closer to nature. My teacher told me that it would help make me stronger."

      "So why am I not allowed there? I mean, I could help." I ask slowly, digesting Davina's words. In truth, I could not help but feel offended at her off-hand nature. We had not met in over half a year, yet the girl I had come to bear motherly affection for did not seem interested in any sort of reunion. "I'm sorry, Melissa," I can hear her bite her lip over the phone, "the place where I'm in . . .  it's a strictly no vampire zone."