Chapter 4-The fifteen wishes

I'm walking home from school, I'm thinking about Asher...
He says he loves me... But he doesn't act like he does.. And why would Rob make that up...
I'm pondering about all that, when I see Taylor come up behind me. She is semi-popular, and to me, she's still a good friend.
"Taylor, hey" I say, as I see her in front of me.
"Hey Laney, how are you" I sigh
"Eh, I've been better" I give a sad laugh.
"Aww, yah. I heard what happened... I'm sure it wasn't true. It seems like he really likes you" she smiles at me, and I give her a small smile back
"Thank you Tay" I say, I give a small smile, but I am honestly really appreciative to have her as a friend.
"No problem Lane" she says back in a cheery voice, it's her street turn, so she waves a goodbye, and turns to her street. I continue walking home and make my way inside my house.
"Hello. I'm home!" I call out... Nothing...
"Mom? Stuart?" I call out to my mom and brother, wondering where they were.
"Hello?!" I call out again, before I give up on calling out. On the table was a box, and there was a card propped up that said "Laney"
In a bold headline, the box said
The fifteen wishes.
Only open on the day of your fifteenth birthday.
I smile a little at what my parents have given me, I mean, of course it was my parents, who else would it have been?
I smile at the kind gesture, and take the box up to my room, being true to the box, I don't open it yet.
I hear the click at the front door, and the moving feet of my brother scurrying into the kitchen to get his after school snack. My mom calls out
"Laney? Were home!"
"Hey mom, I'm upstairs!" I call back
I run Down the spiral staircase into the white kitchen.
"Hey, what was that box you left me?" I ask
"What box lane?" My mom says, as she unpacks the groceries she had been carrying in.
"The one... That was on the table. You were the one that put it there, right? The fifteen wishes box" I say.
"Lane, I didn't put out any box. Sorry."
I shake my head confused and turn my head to Stuart, who is eating a cookie that he got out of the fridge.
"Did you?" I say, looking at Stuart. He simply shakes his head in response.
"Has dad been home?" I ask my mom.
"No, he's not supposed to come back until tomorrow, just in time for your birthday. My big fifteen year old!" She says. Her face is so happy and she gives me a quick shoulder squeeze. I give her a small smile back.
"Okay... Well I'm heading upstairs." I say, Stuart waves at me, and my mom just smiles and says
"Yah, of course. We're having chicken tonight, so we will eat sometime around 7:00, is that okay?" I smile and nod before I run up the stairs and go down the hallway into my bedroom. It's not that interesting, it's a general white walled bedroom, with pictures of Nicole,Shelby, Becca and I all over the wall.
There's a few pictures of Emma and I when we were little. We used to be fairly good friends, and she's semi-popular so it's not bad to have a picture with her. I have a lot of pictures with Nicole. We were definitely the closest. As children, we were good friends, until one day, when playing on the playground, back in kindergarten, we saw Becca playing by herself. Nicole kinda ignored it, but I thought it was sad. So I ran up to little Becca and asked her if she wanted to play with us. Becca nodded and smiled, she came and played with us. We pretended to be froggies, and we played fairies, and from that day on we were best friends.
As for Shelby, she was kinda the bully back in 3rd grade. She used to pick on Nicole because she thought that it was stupid to be good at math. Nicole was one of the best girls in our grade at math, and Shelby thought that was stupid. So one day, in our classroom, Shelby said out loud
"Wow, Nicole. Is the reason your so good at math because you have so much time to study because you have no social life?" That was the day Shelby was put in her place because Nicole said
"Maybe I am good at math, Shelby. But at least I will go to college, and not end up working at McDonald's. Don't worry, I'll be sure to visit when I get a craving for French fries."
Shelby stood there stunned, her face flushed, and her cheeks became red. A few people in the class laughed, and others were just as stunned as she was.
Let me remind you, this is third grade, and being told you are going to work at McDonalds when you grow up is the worst thing you can hear.
After class that day, people went and gave high fives to Nicole, and the word spread like wildfire about what she said. I guess, that was the beginning to our popularity. After that day, Shelby backed off, and it started with her being friendly to us, then we became friends, and then, by 5th grade we were all the most popular girls in school.
I sigh as I think about the memory, and then sit down on my bed. Tomorrow is my fifteenth birthday. My FIFTEENTH birthday. 15. 15!!! I can't believe it, where has the time gone..? I sigh, and continue to click through my emails and do my homework. Tomorrow is my fifteenth birthday. It should be the best day ever, right? I hope. I look over at the box entitled fifteen wishes I smile, and imagine what it would be like if I actually got 15 wishes. It would be the birthday present of a lifetime
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
It's time for bed, dinner was good, and although it is only 9:00, I want to go to bed, because tomorrow I have a awesome day, and I want to be well rested. I look around the my room the last time as being a fourteen year old, I smile, and then I close my eyes, and fall asleep. It feels like a blanket of whispers and dreams has fallen over me, as I breath in, and lose my consciousness. Goodnight Laney.