Ch.23 Friend or Foe?

Chapter 23

Anjela sighed as she put down another golden spine book, only one of the other twenty books she looked at before. None of them had anything about the poison Alex was given, nor the antidote recipe she wanted to use. She looked at the tall book case and took out another book. As she read the title, someone walked up to her and stared at the pile of books.

"Need help?" she asked.

Anjela nodded. "I'm assuming you work here, right?"

The girl nodded and began opening the books that lay on the floor, studying them for a moment. "What kind of potion are you looking for?"

Anjela explained to her the situation she was in with her brother and told her that she needed some information to stop whatever was taking a hold of Alex.

"Oh." She sighed, "You won't find those books here now. Another girl walked in earlier today and checked them out."

"What?"

Anjela wondered why another person would be interested in the books besides her. Unless it was Luna trying to keep the information out her hands.

"What did the girl look like?" Anjela asked her.

"I believe she has blue eyes and her hair is long and dark brown."

The description was nothing like Luna. Luna had grey eyes and black hair, not what the girl described. The question now was who took the books? And why would she need them?

"Thanks. I'll be on my way then."

Before she got up to leave, the girl's eyes flashed red, taking Anjela aback. Surprise raked across the girl's face and she took a step back.

"You must be the last green everyone was talking about!"

Anjela stood up, ready to defend herself.

Why is there a red working in the library? I thought only yellows were the only ones who worked here.

She remembered before she left the library, Mrs. Willow mentioned that only yellows could work there. It was to prevent the reds and blues from giving each other false information.

"Please don't take me as a threat," the girl told her, her voice calm.

"Why should I trust you? All your kind has done is either try to kill me or hurt my family." She growled in a defensive tone.

"But I'm not even in on the whole war thing!" she protested, "I don't agree with the others."

"How can I be sure?"

"Because I trust her." A voice called from behind her.

Anjela turned her head to see Mrs. Willow, the old woman coming in between them. "She's my granddaughter."

"But how?"

"My son married a red."

The girl stuck out her hand, signaling for a handshake. Anjela shook her hand, still unsure whether to completely trust her.

"I'm Elizabeth," the girl told her, "Nice to meet you."

"What did you need help with, Anjela?" Mrs. Willow asked, rousing Anjela from her thoughts.

"I was just told that someone checked out the books I wanted." She replied.

The librarian frowned, and scrunched up her face in confusion. She then turned to Elizabeth. "Don't we usually have copies of every book?" she asked.