From Bad to Worse

Three bulky men stood in a bunch in front of me, smiling creepily and edging closer towards me. Their eyes walked up and down my body, lingering on my chest which I covered self consciously with my bag. 

'Leave me alone' I croaked weakly, trying to back away as one of the men yanked my wrist and pulled me closer.

"Are you sure you don't want to come home with us and plaaay" He breathed, sending the other three men into a fit of laughter. I gained my courage and pulled my wrist free, glaring at the three shocked men.

"I said leave me ALONE" I spat, before turning around and running full sprint towards the lifeguard tower at the other end of the beach. I heard the men behind me shouting but I ignored them, my tears flowing freely as I stumbled across the sodden sand. 

"YOU DON'T COOPERATE, SEE WHAT YOU GET"!

A deafening thunder cracked above my head and drowned out the threatening shouts and the feet galloping closer. Unaware of how close they were, I slowed as I neared the tower. Bad decision. Still about 50 metres from the tower, one of the men reached me and launched a kick at my knees, making them suddenly buckle. My face hit the sand and I scrambled to get up before they struck again, but I was too late. I covered my head with my arms as three legs pelted me hard in the sides. One of the men straddled me and the other wrenched my arms back as he punched me hard in the face, sending blood spraying onto the sand. The biggest man leaned close to me. I smelt the booze on his breath as he whispered abuse in my ear, before slamming his boot down on my bare ankle. My vision blurred as I screamed in agony. My whole body hurt and I felt helpless. 

Lying sideways in the sand and close to fainting, I could barely see through the rain. Through half shut eyes, I saw four blurry figures pelting down the tower steps and charging towards us. They slammed into the men attacking me and wrestled them off, shouting over the torrential rain. Everything happened so fast. Scared that the Bondi Lifeguards had called the cops, the men released me and sprinted off the beach. Two lifeguards chased after them, lips to their walkie talkies as they ran. 

"Please help me, please help. Help" I croaked through the blood that spilled over my lips. One of the lifeguards slipped his arms underneath me and lifted me gently, holding me against his chest. I couldn't help but stare up at his gorgeous face, his chocolate brown eyes almost making me forget about the pain. His face was full of concern and I felt comforted. 

"Shhh it's ok, we've got you. Don't worry sweetheart" He whispered softly in my ear. The other lifeguard ran up ahead of us and opened the door. I felt safe in the lifeguards arms and rested my head against his chest as I'm finally brought out of the rain and into a warm area. I shivered and coughed, groaning as pain wracked through my body. The other lifeguards in the tower leapt out of their chairs as we came in. There was a shocked silence before they started talking, all at once. 

"Oh Shit"

"I hope Chappo and Whip catch those bloody bastards" 

"The poor girl"

"How could anyone do such a thing to a young girl like that"

The guy who carried me laid me down gently on the bed and barked orders at the men standing around. 

"You idiots, stop standing around doing nothing! Jesse, start cleaning her up. Maxi, bring her a blanket, towel and water. Reidy call the ambo. Kerr, check up on Whip and Chappo to see if there is an update". He shouted angrily, before turning his focus towards the beach.

"Yes Hop" They mumbled, before jumping into action.