chapter 19: mafia

[Taehyung's POV]

Joy invited me to her house again after school but I had to say no. Every time that I'm there I know I have to stick to the 'plan,' so today I just told her that I had to go straight home.

I was on the couch when there was a knock on the door. "What is it?" I opened the door and standing there were two guys dressed all in black.

"Time is ticking." One of them said.

I stepped back and grabbed the doorknob, "Um I think you have the wrong house."

"We're here to collect the money." The other one said.

"Shit," My eyes widened, "You're the mafia."

"Something like that."

"B-but why are you here...?" As far as I know, they've never directly came to our house. Joon would always mail them the payments or meet with them in their headquarters or wherever it was.

"You guys are late with the payments. We're here to collect it up front."

"O-ok, I'll get it...just hold on." I was hesitantly towards my backpack and took my wallet out. I didn't collect a lot of money from Joy's house yesterday because I really didn't know what to do. I didn't want to take it, but I knew I had to collect something.

I turned around and froze when I saw the two guys actually entered the house. "Here it is." I handed one of them the money and he started counting it.

He frowned and looked to the guy beside him, "Namjoon, it's not enough."

"Why are you holding back on us?" The one named Namjoon took a step forward.

"I'm not holding back, but that's all I have right now."

The two guys exchanged looks and one of them rolled up his sleeves.

"Go ahead, Jin." Namjoon said calmly.

Before I could react to anything, the other guy just punched me.

"What the hell?!" I yelled and threw a fist back. This Jin guy's reflexes were pretty quick because he grabbed my fist before I could even touch him and kicked me to the ground.

"Don't even try to fight back, kid." Namjoon knelt beside me and held my chin up. "You see? This is what happens when you can't afford to pay back your debts. It's a shame your pathetic father died and left his debts for his sons to pay off."

He smirked at me before getting up and walking towards the door. I knew that if I stood up they would do something to me again. "You're lucky we're being easy on you." He stopped in front of our picture frames and knocked over the frame with dad's picture.

"You bastard." I charged up and made my way towards him. But Namjoon held up one finger to stop me and held another picture frame in his other hand.

"Watch what you do. You might end up dead, just like your dad." He dropped the picture frame and even more glass was shattered on the floor.

I didn't tell Joon what happened. I didn't tell him that the creditors are coming to our house now. If he knew, he would just force me to steal more money from Joy's family.

I went to the mall and looked around if any places were hiring. I knew that it would take a while to pay back the debts with a minimum wage job, but it was better than nothing. I luckily got a job at a clothing store that was hiring. I would get paid by the end of the week, so at least I was able to contribute that pay check.

"You look so cute in your uniform. I still can't believe you got a job, that's pretty cool." Originally I didn't plan to tell Joy that I was working at the mall, but she was curious when I wasn't able to hang out with her after school again. When I told her that this is where I would be, she came to visit me.

"It's not really a uniform, we all just have to wear black pants and a white shirt." I said.

"I know. But I guess you just look cute no matter what."

I smiled at her and leaned over the counter to give her a kiss. Hopefully the boss was nowhere around to see this.

"Excuse me, can I get some assistance?" A customer asked.

Joy pulled away shyly and I nodded towards the customer.

"I apologize. How can I help you...." I back up into the wall when I saw that Namjoon and Jin were in the store.

"I'll leave you to your work." Joy waved at me and smile innocently at the two guys next to her. "Text me when you're done~"

I waited for Joy to leave the store before turning my attention to Namjoon and Jin.

"She's cute." Namjoon commented. "Is she your girlfriend?"

I stayed silent.

"Hey Namjoon, I recognize her." Jin nudged. "Her family was all over the news a few weeks ago. They're the lottery winners."

Namjoon looked interested and rested his elbows on the counter. "So your girlfriend's millionaire."

"She's not my girlfriend. I don't know her."

"Nice try. We just saw you a while ago." Jin said.

"No I'm serious. I don't know her. She's just a random customer."

"Then I guess it doesn't matter if we do something to that random customer?"

I whispered so that no one in the store could hear us, "We said we would get you your money eventually. Why do you have to come to our house and follow me around??"

"To make sure you keep your word. In case you happen to try to skip town, who knows?" Namjoon said.

+

YOOOO I want to apologize in advance that this chapter and most likely the next chapter are cliché as fuck BUT I've never personally written anything like this so I wanted to try it for myself ::)