Chapter 26

“Did you get a picture of the cake? Make sure you get a picture of the cake. I spent a lot of time on that cake, I want to make sure it’s properly appreciated. Oh, and did you get a picture of the rest of the decorations? And of Hadley? Don’t forget to take a lot of pictures of Hadley. This is her baby shower, you want to make sure that every moment is remembered. Oh, and did you – “

 I set my camera down on an empty table with a deep breath and turned to look at my mother. She was staring at me expectantly, eyes wide – like I hadn’t heard a single thing she’d just said.

“Mom.” I gripped her shoulders, holding her at an arm’s length. “I know how to take photos. It is my job.”

  She scowled, mouth turned down.

“Don’t be rude, Archer. I just want this to be properly documented, okay? This is one of those once-in-a-lifetime things, your first baby.”

 I looked over to Hadley settled on the couch, cupcake in hand, laughing at something she was talking about with Mia, Georgiana, and Acacia. She had that expression on her face that never failed to remind me of the significance of this, of just how much she wanted it, just how much I owed her.

 I made a big show of grabbing my camera and taking a picture of the three girls to appease Mom.

 “Oh, stop it,” she snapped, smacking me upside the head. “Just humor me on this one, all right?”

 It was pointless to try and reason with her – it was always like that – so I just started snapping pictures again to appease her.

 She bustled off with a sigh, and for another a moment I was free of being pestered before zia Sophia wandered over to my side as I shot a couple of photos of the decorated coffee house.

  “Been doing well then, caro?” she asked conversationally.

I squeezed my eyes shut and gnawed on my lip to keep from sighing. It would be like asking for immediate death, telling one of my relatives to go away and leave me alone.

 “Just fine,” I answered stiffly.

Sophia’s eyebrows raised a fraction of an inch. “Fine?”

“Well, you know.” I shrugged, messing with the settings on my camera. “A bit nervous. The weeks are winding down.”

 As if anybody needed a reminder of that, though.

Sophia laughed, squeezing my shoulder. “Oh, you’ll be just fine, Archer, don’t you worry. I’m not going to lie and say it’ll be a walk in the park, but…well, you’ve got a strong head on your shoulders. Hadley certainly does. You’ll be fine.”

 The back of my neck started burning and I felt uncomfortable pinpricks all over my skin.

She shouldn’t have said that. It just kicked up a whole slew of unnecessary worries that I so did not need to be thinking about right now. 

 Focus on Hadley, I reminded myself. She asked for one day, and it’s the least she deserves.

“Thanks, zia,” I said. “That…means a lot.”

And it did mean something – it showed my family cared.

 Sophia gave me a fond smile and patted my cheek, then wondered off again to bury herself in conversation with Mom.  

 I busied myself with taking shots of all the guests – more than just a few of Hadley – and the magnificent spread of food the women had prepared for the occasion had nearly been picked through when Mia stood and shouted for attention.