Chapter 1: The Apprentice

Tia held her breath as she eased the wooden door open

It was quiet, except for the sound of Mommu dragging his broom across the stone floor in the kitchen. She carefully leant her own broom against the wall, and then paused again. Master's study was still silent. Good.

She exhaled, her heart fluttering, and crept out of the doorway. Out of the kitchen, her eyes darted to the boy with his back to her, who was sweeping dutifully, and made to squeeze out of the main wooden door of the house. The heavy structure made no noise as she—

"Tia!"

She jumped, elbowing the frame, and hissed with pain. Her heart leapt to her throat. Mommu stared at her from across the room, horrified.

"If you're caught—"

She shook her head, barely suppressing her giggles. She needed to go; the urge was going to make her heart explode. With a cheeky grin, she waggled her fingers in farewell. The boy thumped his broom on the ground in exasperation, sending dust flying into the air.

"You'll be in so much trouble!" he said as she danced outside, one hand grabbing the cloak off its hook. Sweeping the material around her and pulling the heavy hood up, she spun on her toes, enjoying the pale blue cape lifting from her shoulders and swirling around, its black rim billowing. The wind rippled through her hair, and she loved the feeling of importance as the thick cloak settled around her shoulders again.

It was the time when Master would shut himself in his study for the whole day, scribing the monthly report for the king. For Tia, this was her opportune moment to escape their hilltop house, and she seized it without hesitation as she always had.

It's so fun, pretending to be a Windcaster, thought Tia, racing through the streets. Everyone treats me differently just because I'm wearing Master's clothes. They really think I'm a Windcaster!

It was true. Everywhere, traders, adults, and children alike were standing aside, giving way. Their mouths were open in awe as she skipped lightly through the marketplace, the cape flapping behind her and her leather boots making clipping noises on the stone-bricked floor. She took care to keep her hair out of sight and her face shielded.

Several merchants bowed down to her before they resumed their work — she fought to suppress her giggles — and then she paused, staring at the exotic merchandise, enthralled by shop owners as they advertised their wares and tried to appeal to passers-by.

"Finely woven with camel hairs..."

"Fought through fifty and four wars before it was passed down to my father..."

"Forged blades and ultimate shields for low prices..."

The gilded equipments gleamed in the warm sunlight and the ancient tomes promised endless secrets. There were so many mysterious items from faraway lands for sale, tantalising in their beauty. Tia wanted them all. With a sigh, she turned her head to the other side and spotted an auction. She secured the hood over her head. Filled with curiosity, she slowed her progress, her eyes falling on the man with the mallet. He hammered, having just finished the previous sale.