Chapter 32: Level Four

It was getting to the end of the Windcasters’ congregation when Tia overheard trainees talking about the exam.

“We are not required to Sense, are we?” Nintu, the trainee of Winderbeck, was saying. The pixie-like girl was wringing her hands as she rocked back and forth on her feet. Tia liked Nintu; she was fun and loved practical jokes. She also had a love-hate relationship with Nisroch, the annoying, arrogant student from Balcarry.

“Sensing is not usually taught until Level five. I did not learn it until I had passed Level four, so it should not come up.” Kingu, the down-to-earth apprentice under Master Enki of Kiramone, gave a comforting smile. “If you have the skill, I imagine they will be pleased to see it; if you do not, it is not expected and will not make you fail, regardless.”

“How many examiners are there again, Kingu?” she pressed.

“Usually two or three Consuls. Sometimes there may be one Censor to overlook the procedure but not take part in the judging; it is a good way for them to observe the product of other Masters’ teaching: by inspecting the trainee.”

She gulped.

“If you are unsure, you can always take the exam in six months’ time,” Sin, the trainee from Pathos, the City of Healing, said in his deep voice. He spread his giant hands out in front of him in a helpless gesture. “If we are not able to pass, there is nothing more we can do except to train harder for the next one.”

“But I want to pass this one, Sin!” Nintu pouted. She spotted the Mooncliffe trainee eavesdropping. “Tia! Are you to attend the Level four exams also?”

“Me?” Tia grinned. “Of course!”

“Tia!” Mommu protested, his round face going pink at her recklessness. “You have not even entered; do not make false promises!”

“You need not officially enter.” She stuck her tongue out at him as she linked arms with Nintu. “Only three or four trainees enter every year anyway; it does not take long for the whole exam.”

Mommu opened his mouth and closed it again. She knew he didn’t know enough about the Level four exams to counter her argument – and as he himself was only Level two, it would be a while before he considered entering.

“Master Anu had not prepared you for the exams – you are not ready!” He was flustered. “And it has only been days since you had been reprimanded!”

“Why do you doubt me, Mommu? You saw what I did in Kiramone.” Her grin became wider. She had said just the right thing.

“You—” He opened and shut his mouth. Tia giggled. “Master would never let you!” He sounded like his despair was strangling him.

“Why? Do you not think I am good enough, Mommu?”The boy shook his head helplessly. “Who knows, perhaps I can even enter Quaestor–”

“That you cannot, Tiamat,” Kingu cut in. “You need a qualified Windcasters’ recommendation before you can be considered in the king’s circle.”

She stuck her tongue out at him too.

****

“I must insist on action, Sire. The people are beginning to panic.”

“You told me nobody knew about this! What are they getting so scared about?”

“We may be able to silence the loudest ones, but word still travels fast. It is all too clear what Gwent is planning.”

“Have you removed civilians from Ptarmigan Fortress and Elder Down?”

“Yes, Sire. The last ones will depart at sunset; after that, only the militia is left.”