Chapter 9

"What's behind the smoke and glass?

Painted faces, everybody wears a mask.

Are you selling them your soul?

Well you'll be left out in the cold.”

I heard the music blast from downstairs while I sat on the white spiral stairs that led to the club’s dormitories. My head rested on the metallic railing while I watched the performance.

Sweet Lou put Aubrey and Vivienne up for a duet number for the entire night. So the other girls and including myself, were left to wait tables and assist clients.

But of course that after the little Jimmy situation, Sweet Lou turned into an overly caring drama queen and strictly forbid me from even setting foot in the club.

I watched the girls seductively dance in their tiny outfits, which deliciously hugged their alluring bodies, mesmerizing the crowd. I wish I could be as good as them one day. They looked so feminine, so flawless.

I felt myself turning green with envy and anger and couldn’t stand it anymore. I couldn’t even leave for the kitchen, because Tyler hasn’t spoken to me all week long. On top of that, I keep seeing him trying to flirt with Patricia, which pisses me of. Is he trying to avenge me or something?

I got up and made my way up the stairs. I was about to head down the hall to my room when I heard quick footsteps coming from the other side of the dormitories. I turned around to see Michaela rushing in my direction, her long platinum blonde locks bouncing as she ran.

Thank god I found you!” She panted and rested a hand on my shoulder to catch her breath. “Why weren’t you downstairs?” Michaela asked me while stepping out of her tall platform pumps. “Ah this is good.” She sighed in relief when she stood barefoot on the fuzzy carpet.

“Lou’s giving me a hard time…Go figure the old bitch.” I giggled nervously, not wanting to fill her in with all the details.

“Yeah ok.” She said quickly, not really paying attention to what I’ve just said to her. “Listen I need you to fill in for me.” She muttered and began undoing her corset right in front of me.

I blinked, seeing more and more of her smooth vanilla colored skin. Us girls see each other naked all the time, but it still got to me every time.  “May I ask why?” I mumbled and helped her out by untying the back of her corset.

“It doesn’t matter why!” Michaela hissed impatiently and ran into her bedroom, dragging me along. “Do you want to make money or not?” She rolled her blue eyes and began pulling on a classy mini dress.

“Yeah but Michaela…We might look similar but we’re far from being identical…” I bit my lip while watching her frantically search her closet. “Lou’s not going to fall for it!”

“Bullshit, she won’t be able to tell.” Michaela shook her head. “Aha! Put this on!” She pulled out a tiny, sparkly black corset and a gigantic pair of matching stilettos. “C’mon Vex, we don’t have all night!” She hissed impatiently and glanced at the vintage clock.

I gave in and reluctantly slipped off my lingerie and put the corset on instead. “Are you in the pit?” I mumbled while she laced me up tighter than usually. The pit is the name we gave to the dining area, where the clients received more...intimate treatment.

“Jesus, your waist is tiny!” She gasped as she pulled on the ribbons. “And yeah it’s Monday so I’m in the pit.” Michaela said and handed me a wine red lipstick.

Monday…Monday…

Jimmy wanted me to meet him on Mondays! I completely forgot!

Ten times more driven to help Michaela, I was ready in less than a minute. I admired my reflection in the mirror. I guess that now it was indeed hard to tell us apart. Our bodies were a bit different because I had fuller breasts, but Michaela’s legs were way longer than mine, they were her trademark.