Sample Chapter 2: The First Date

Present time
Kolkata

Alisha's pov

After I dropped Joe to her school, I drove to my work shop, The Essence. Yes, I work as a fashion designer. My dream work, I have my little shop here in North Kolkata, with a good number of customers. Okay I am not very famous, but I am happy, except the fact that sometimes I feel too lonely and hollow from inside. I know I should stay strong for Joe, but I can't help it.

I parked my car outside went to open the door.
I looked at my dairy for the deliveries of the dresses. Debu, would be coming any time now. I have hired him for delivering the dresses. I checked the list for the deliveries we need to do today, there are 4 in total. Wait. what?

How can that be unless....

Holy shit! Mrs. Mukherjee's is dress is not here. And from as much as I remember, I have made nothing for her.

I instantly went to my table and took my note pad, to look up what she wanted in her dress.
Darn it!  She wants a ball gown, for her first marriage anniversary. ..................The party is on the day after tomorrow. I don't have time to prepare a dress now. What will I do? What will I do?  Mrs. Annie Mukherjee is a sweet young woman and most importantly rich. She is so rich that she is not expected to visit my shop. She is expected to be seen wearing signature dresses of Gucci and panash. But she likes my dresses and visit my shop more than often and pays well off for my dresses. So whenever I designed her dress, I used to put extra effort in it.God knows how did I forgot to make her dress this time. Two years ago when she wore a white satin and net ball gown to a family function designed by me she was more than happy with the compliments she got wearing that dress and asked me to design all her function and party dresses.  I will loose a big client if I disappoint her this time, this is going to be a big day for her and I am going to be the one ruining it.

I again looked at the note pad.....preferable color......pink and white. Suddenly I remembered that baby pink chiffon dress, my first dress. I had made it and was quite happy with it's appearance and I put into the blond dummy and placed it in front of the large glass window. For months it was there up for sale, but unfortunately it was never sold.

I thought it was beautiful off-shoulder with a large satin white rose up the chest. But obviously people thought otherwise. The upper part of the gown was of silk, tightly hugging the body and lower half was of satin and net, which gives it a classy and elegant look.

Perfect! Now all I have to do is find it and make amendments in it. I went towards the store room in the back side of my shop. I was searching the cartoon boxes one after another  when I heard the sound of the wind chime. Signal that a customer is here! I left the store room and went back and found Debu waiting for me in his old faded trousers and the same old orange t-shirt.

I have found him five years ago when he was fifteen and used to work in a small canteen, I used to visit when I was pregnant and had no one by my side. I was all alone! One day I was sitting in that cafe and ordered an espresso, debu was bringing it, but suddenly he tripped and fell, the China cup broke into the pieces. The owner of the shop came running and started to hit him. I stopped him and paid for the coffee as well as the mug the boy broke. I asked him why did he work here when the shopkeeper treated him so badly. He said that he don't have a choice but to work here because he can't find another job now. His father have died two years ago because of the lack of treatment. And here he is forced to work to earn living for his family. I felt bad for him, so I offered him the job to become my assistant in my shop. The shop which I was successful in establishing with the money I saved from my pocket money papa used to give me during the collage. He agreed happily and started to work with me.

He delivered dresses, keep the supply of materials in check and took care of the shop when I am busy with Joe. I was thankful to God that I got this little boy, he is really helpful. He is twenty now and had grown into a fine man I had to say.
"Debu have you seen that baby pink silk gown, I need it urgently." I said to him.
"Oh, the one with a rose in the middle? "He asked me and I nodded.
"It is in the second shelf of the store room. "

"Thank you! Debu, now will you please deliver these? " I pointed at the cartoon boxes in front of me with address slips, stuck in the back. He nodded and took the boxes out.

***

I started to work on that dress, I like it very much probably because it was my first creation but I doubt that it will be the same way with Mrs. Annie.
When the clock stuck two, I hurried out of the shop to pick up Joe from school and we had our lunch in a nearby McDonald's and sent Joe home with debu because I had no time to go home and come back.

I worked till it was five in the evening and finally I was satisfied with the look. With slight amendments at places it looked fantastic. Now it's time for Mrs. Annie to see it, lets see how much she likes it.

I called her and told her that her dress is ready and within fifteen minutes a black Rolls royce-Phantom coup pulled in front of my little shop and Mrs. Annie steeped out of it.

"Oh my God Alisha, it's.....it's so beautiful! Is it really for me? "
I was so relieved to know that she liked it. "Yes, Mrs. Mukherjee, indeed it is! "
"Thank you Alisha, I will look my best that day. " she looked at me and smiled.
And I smiled back at her.
"Oh and I forgot to mention, you and Joe are specially invited on my wedding anniversary and don't forget to bring a gift! " She said and giggled. "Here!" She handed me a card.
"Thank you, we will surely come. Mrs. Annie. "

I went back to my desk and sat down and remembered the last ball I attended six years ago.

Flashback
Mumbai, India
Six years ago

Alisha's pov

The makeup artist gave a final touch on my face and finally I was ready in my chocolate brown designer gown caked up like a doll. Oh I hate it! 
"Ali how many days would you take to come down for God's sake? We are going to be late! " my elder brother Surya shouted from downstairs.
I looked at my reflection in the full size mirror. It was so unlike me, I never wore full length gowns and that too of chocolate brown color? Yuck! My hair was folded into a French bun whereas I like my hair open in it's natural flow. Okay,  I looked good but not me. I looked like anyone but me. But it gave me a satisfaction as well because if he is really a playboy he will never agree to marry me specially when I am dressed up like papa's little princess. I took my silver clutch from the dressing table and hurried down the stairs where my family was waiting for me. We were going on the inauguration party of a five star hotel owned by the Singhania company where I was expected to meet my future husband for the first time. Here I could only cross my fingers and pray, pray that he will disagree to marry me.

ONLY FIVE SAMPLE CHAPTERS OF THIS BOOK ARE AVAILABLE ON WATTPAD. TO READ THE REST PLEASE DOWNLOAD DREAME APP OR OPEN THE LINK GIVEN ON MY BIO.
THANK YOU.